Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

12V DC Power Supply for Arlo Pro Base Station

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
CaptMahty
Aspirant
Aspirant

Does Netgear sell a DC power supply for the Arlo Pro Base Station?

I bought a VMS4430 | Arlo Pro Wire-Free camera system to install into a yacht. I need to power the Arlo Pro Base Station using 12V. 

If not, what are the power specifications for the Arlo Pro Base Station? Input voltage, wattage, plug dimensions and plug tip polarity, etc?

Knowing the required input power would allow me to use a DC-DC power supply rather than a 12V AC inverter for the stock 120V AC power adapter.

The VMC4030 cameras ship with a micro USB power cable that can be combined with a 12V USB power cigarette plug adapter. 

--Kindly, CaptMahty

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

CaptMahty wrote:

I bought a VMS4430 | Arlo Pro Wire-Free camera system to install into a yacht. I need to power the Arlo Pro Base Station using 12V. 

If not, what are the power specifications for the Arlo Pro Base Station? Input voltage, wattage, plug dimensions and plug tip polarity, etc?

Knowing the required input power would allow me to use a DC-DC power supply rather than a 12V AC inverter for the stock 120V AC power adapter.

The VMC4030 cameras ship with a micro USB power cable that can be combined with a 12V USB power cigarette plug adapter. 

--Kindly, CaptMahty

The Pro base uses an AC to DC wall wart that is rated at 12DC @ 1.5a , center Positive with coaxial plug the looks to be a 5 or 5.5mm by 2.1mm

( power supply same as the older Arlo base )... so you could direct wire using same with an inline proper rated fuse

As to the USB adapter, it has a dual voltage  output... 5v and 9v  ( the 9V is needed to charge the packs fully to 8,4v ) ...So it's not just a standard USB adapter....  Not sure how the PRO decides which voltage to use... may access another pin in cable

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

IMG_20161021_093215.jpg

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

CaptMahty wrote:

--Kindly, CaptMahty

The Pro base uses an AC to DC wall wart that is rated at 12DC @ 1.5a , center Positive with coaxial plug the looks to be a 5 or 5.5mm by 2.1mm

( power supply same as the older Arlo base )... so you could direct wire using same with an inline proper rated fuse

As to the USB adapter, it has a dual voltage  output... 5v and 9v  ( the 9V is needed to charge the packs fully to 8,4v ) ...So it's not just a standard USB adapter....  Not sure how the PRO decides which voltage to use... may access another pin in cable

Morse is faster than texting!
Gedhols
Aspirant
Aspirant

Like you I am after a 12volt solution to run the Arlo base station in my campervan that already has wifi. I am considering the Cellink-B dashcam battery pack that recharges when the van is running by the cigarette lighter.  As you mentioned the Arlo needs 1.5amps, do I simply add a 1.5A fuse between the Cellink and the Arlo?  Any ideas welcome, thanks Ged

CaptMahty
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Gedhols, Yes, simply put a 1.5A fuse inline. I am using a universal type 12V cigarette socket power supply.

Hope that helps, Marty