Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
gmcjetpilot
Star
Star
  •  I noticed I couldn't change the record time from 10 seconds to a longer period? Why.
  • While researching I tried to chat abd it said I had no support. I saw EOL notice,  all support ending April 2023.  end of life notice and I called. Apparently in April my cameras will no longer be supported. I have two questions one did they limit my recording time to 10 seconds as part of this throttling back or reducing capability? And number two in April will my camera start uploading to the cloud and I won't be able to see my videos anymore? 
  • WILL I STILL HAVE VIDEO LOADED TO CLOUD AND SEE THEM ON APP?????
  • I called and got a run around ans reasons that contradicted and sales pitch to buy support.

Last she asked for my password and logged I to my cameras !!!!! I hesitated giving this password. I changed it after the call and regret giving it to her.

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

1) Edit your modes and rules to change the recording time.

https://kb.arlo.com/42/What-are-modes-and-rules-and-how-does-Arlo-use-them

2) Cameras will still work but you'll need to either purchase a plan for cloud recordings or use local recordings on a USB drive. You need at least a VMB4000 for local recordings (see the sticker on the bottom of your base) but you may want to upgrade the base to a SmartHub (VMB4540 or VMB5000) since only those allow you to use the app to see the recordings without needing to safely eject the drive for viewing on a computer.

You didn't call Arlo support. They will never ask for your password.

AllexBon
Aspirant
Aspirant

I called too.  Rep ASKED FOR MY PASSWORD.  I hung up.  I am considering legal action.  This is ridiculous.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Where did you get the number to call? It sounds like you Googled for it rather than using Settings, Support which can give you a real number but only if you have a subscription.

MotoRider42HC
Luminary
Luminary

To the OP, if you can't figure out how to increase the recording time past 10 seconds, then simply just change it to "record until motion stops". I have personally had substantially better luck with that setting. Hope you're able to get your problem resolved.

gmcjetpilot
Star
Star

MotoRider42HC wrote
To the OP, if you can't figure out how to increase the recording time past 10 seconds, then simply just change it to "record until motion stops". I have personally had substantially better luck with that setting. Hope you're able to get your problem resolved.

Yep that is the setting I have and had all along. However it does not seem to matter. I still don't see the time adjustment I use to have. 10 seconds is often enough except when it's not.  I am not wrapped around the axial about this as much as the EOL policy that will make my system basically useless I pay up. We shall see what they offer. I never got the EOL letter, I looked and looked. So I only found out when I started researching the record length issue. I get LOTS of emails from Arlo trying to sell me new cameras but no notifications of policy change. 

gmcjetpilot
Star
Star

Guru jguerdat wrote:

Where did you get the number to call? It sounds like you Googled for it rather than using Settings, Support which can give you a real number but only if you have a subscription.

Yes that is correct I got it from Google. It worked. I tried many times. Then I lucked upon this one number, after many dead ends, but this one got through fairly quickly, almost no wait. During the call I complained about being rejected on Chat and not being able to find a phone number. She said  I assure you I will help you. They did not reject my call. The end result was no technical answer about my original issue of 10 sec record time, and no real firm details on EOL, except tried to sell me on subscription for $150 a year.  

Weird thing, as the other post alluded to. In my case no password was needed to talk to someone. However during the call, they vetted me, knew my address, but asked for my PASSWORD. I am sure they saw I was original registered owner, using the system continuously at the same IP and Address. I gave PASSWORD up, regretting it. I new she saw my camera, was reading names of my cameras off to me. I changed PASSWORD after the call. There was no need to give them my PASSWORD.  Next day I called and got through again no problem, asked if was normal to ask for PASSWORD. I was told this is normal, required some times (for trouble shooting). Also told they don't store passwords more than a day.  Weird.  This 2nd lady however offered 5 yr plan at about 70% off the previous offer. Funny the first lady tried to stick it to me. Nice. 

So as I understand it (hearsay rumor's) they are offering 75% off their normal subscription to some people as they feel like it and apparently did offer me after two calls.  This sales technique of ripping off those you can but discounting others is shady. If they wake up and realize they are in jeopardy of getting sued they may make the subscription and hardware, SMART BASE and Camera discount official and announce it, not just give it to those who complain the most. MAY BE THEY DID THIS? Again I am getting emails from ARLO but never got EOL notice, which is kind of strange.   If I were CEO I would try to appease the mob with pitch forks and torches. I am NOT a cancel culture guy, but now that MO is out there people are aware of the power of MOB RULE. 

It would  be cheaper for Arlo to give concessions, rather than getting sued, bolstering their reputation, improve PR and in the end save them money and grow business. There can still be an EOL but out to the horizon not 5 yrs or less from date of purchase for many of us. The parts thing? Well that is another issue and I believe state and federal consumer laws apply. I recall it is 10 years? That seems more reasonable than an abrupt  EOL affecting people with Cameras only 3.5 to 5 yrs old.  I could be too optimistic to think Arlo will not try to make this right. It all depends who they gave campaign contributions to and lobbied. Business wise it is going to leave a bad mark on the brand. If Arlo thinks people are bluffing, they will be surprised. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You have to NOT choose the Record until motion stops and choose the timed recording selection. That allows you to change from 10 seconds to as much as 2 minutes. Using the record until motion stops typically stops around 10 seconds if motion can't be detected by the camera (not your eyes) which is why the timed recordings may work better - all it has to do is detect, start recording and stop at the end of the time selected.

As for being asked for your password, AFAIK Arlo never asks for that. I assume this is still true @JamesC ? If you haven't changed your password yet, I'd certainly do it posthaste. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@gmcjetpilot wrote:

Guru jguerdat wrote:

Yes that is correct I got it from Google.

Weird thing, as the other post alluded to. In my case no password was needed to talk to someone. However during the call, they vetted me, knew my address, but asked for my PASSWORD. I am sure they saw I was original registered owner, using the system continuously at the same IP and Address. I gave PASSWORD up, regretting it.

Arlo says they never ask for the password.

I suggest reporting it as a scam, and see what happens.

shdowfax
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm all in on what you have said.  I think it criminal to just drop the 7-day recording feature unless you subscribe to a plan.  In addition, it is not clear that my old cameras will continue to work even with a plan.  They seem to be saying I can still use the camera to activity monitor, but it will only record locally.   This just does not work for a remote location like a vacation home.  To add to the confusion is that I have no way to contact them.  I'm not opposed to buying a plan, but I need to be able to use my old cameras, add new cameras, and the ability to have multiple alarm system on my email account.   

This is really looking like a bait-and-switch to force everyone into buying new stuff.