Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

1/8/2019 Update Disabled The Speaker On App Again

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
LindaLin888888
Guide
Guide

Why can't Netgear just test your stupid software! This si the second time you disabled the speaker on purpose or by your irresponsible develpers. Shouldn't you have some regression test?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

To clarify again, when the speaker icon is grayed out, that means the audio detection is off; it is not related with the push-to-talk feature. To enable the push-to-talk feature, you will need to play the live stream on your camera feed and tap on the "microphone" button (shown below on the red box) to enable communication over the camera. Let me know if your push-to-talk feature does not work.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Maybe it isn't the software. I just tested this with a Pro camera with the latest Android app and it works fine.

N0odz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Can’t figure out how to “speak” via a camera.  

New download 1/12/19 of iOS app

Jack

LindaLin888888
Guide
Guide
Th speaker button on the app is disabled. We used to be able to talk through the app. Now it is grey
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hi @LindaLin888888,

Could you clarify what speaker is not working? What device are you using to test this? And could you provide a screenshot that is showing the error?

LindaLin888888
Guide
Guide
Really? Is it that hard to figure it out? You see in each camera window the third icon (speaker icon). You can push it and communicate over the camera when someone shows up in front of the camera!
LindaLin888888
Guide
Guide
My phone is iPhone. From the picture it is clearly the icon is grey.
migman_2001
Luminary
Luminary
If that is your picture, then you first newd to have the camera on for the voice to work.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey @LindaLin888888,

The third icon that is grayed out is if your camera is armed and it is detecting audio. If you would like to use the microphone to communicate over the camera, you will need to turn on your camera and start the live stream and tap on the "microphone" icon. You can read here on how to use the push-to-talk feature: What is the push-to-talk feature on my Arlo camera and how does it work?

LindaLin888888
Guide
Guide
The camera was on. I just turned off to take the picture. Do you guys really know your system or you are just trying to close the case? The icon is grey. How can I push it when it is grey??????
Ps the camera is ON. it is only disabled for the snapshot.
JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

To clarify again, when the speaker icon is grayed out, that means the audio detection is off; it is not related with the push-to-talk feature. To enable the push-to-talk feature, you will need to play the live stream on your camera feed and tap on the "microphone" button (shown below on the red box) to enable communication over the camera. Let me know if your push-to-talk feature does not work.

LindaLin888888
Guide
Guide
I already mentioned that the button is grayed even when the camera is on. Here you go.
JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Though this is marked as solved, the one poster seems to still be having an issue. One thing to insure that is understood is that the speaker icon has nothing to do with push to talk. Grey means you have audio detection off. Period. Nothing at all to do with live view. Only the microphone icon that appears within the scene view at the bottom when you initiate Live View is push to talk. However, if you start watching live view and tap it anywhere other than on one of the icon options, they (all the record, snapshot, push to talk) will disappear, I guess in preparation of tapping the screen again to get the stop icon.

If the action icons for live view are not appearing at all, then that is a different app issue. But the speaker icon has nothing to do with communication, it only is active when you have selcted audio triggered detection in the mode that is currently operating.