Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Cameras disconnecting from WIFI randomly and won't reconnect unless I power cycle them, every once in a great while the camera will come back online after a few days.  I can't always powercycle because I have them at two different homes 1700 miles apart, and the problem happens at both homes.  Signal is strong 3 bars and at one home the speed is 950mbits/100 mbits.  The other home is fiber, 940/940 mbits so upload at both homes really is not an issue.  They work fine for days/weeks and then one goes offline and stays offline.  Does it try to reconnect?  If there is interference I would think I would see this happen all the time, but it's very hit and miss.  Weeks with all working then one or two go offline.  Very frustrating.  Wish I knew what the cameras do when they detect they are offline, do they try to reconnect?  No Base stations involved.  Ironically its always the new Pro 5s cameras, NEVER, EVER the Arlo 4s.  That's a clue for you ARLO.

• 5s
5 REPLIES 5
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

If the internet connection is lost, or in the event of a power outage where connectivity with the router is lost, the cameras should attempt to reconnect once the connection can be re-established. When you notice a camera dropping offline, are any other devices on the network going offline at the same time or is it just an individual camera? Are you able to tell if there was a power outage or ISP outage at the time the cameras dropped offline?

JamesC

Ruffnready
Apprentice
Apprentice

After finally in a Hail Mary, I reached out to the community for help with Arlo Support and many thanks to the moderators for getting some movement.  Finally a replacement camera was overnighted.  I was feeling good but then I noticed it was not a new camera as no plastic film on the camera itself and scratches seem to set the tone…This replacement isn’t recognized by the smart hub or Wi-Fi or anything…It’s a dud…I even deleted and readied the app to see if an issue.  App comes up and recognizes the smart hub, checks firmware and says firmware up to date…then have 6x each tried to add via the smarthub and without and always get response camera not found….doesn’t matter how close or how far away to the smarthub or the router the camera is placed.  It is not found…Interestingly enough, pretty quickly, the blue light rapidly flickers giving hope its synch, but nothing…the camera can not be found….

It appears, that the replacement is a retread or refurb and wasn’t tested…

I need a new camera that has actually been tested that it can be found and that it works sent asap…I have given Arlo far more patience than they deserve…Only time i get support is through the community so I am reaching out one more time

Ruffnready
Apprentice
Apprentice

Interesting observation on the 4 and 5.  I have 16 cameras and  only 2 are the 4s.  Have not had a problem with them at all.  But then all but one of my 5s has worked well.  And the on 5 worked for 45 days.  Finally got a replacement for the defective 5 having the intermittent disconnect problem.   Problem is the replacement is a dud and it is not recognized by Wi-Fi or the hub.  Have enormous amount of time invested troubleshooting and it just never ends. My original Arlo system was stellar.  

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ruffnready wrote:

Problem is the replacement is a dud and it is not recognized by Wi-Fi or the hub. 

Have you tried the hardware reset (holding down sync until the camera flashes amber)?

Ruffnready
Apprentice
Apprentice

Stephen B.   Thanks for the response.   I did this hood reset until yellow light started blinking steadily and lo behold the camera was recognized!   Woohoo.  Came right up and moved out to the spot where the defective camera was and showing strong Wi-Fi connection (as the previous one did for 45 days).  It’s working as it should.  Recording motion. Can turn spotlight off.  IT Works!   Many thanks s again