Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Danniielle
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi everyone. This is my first post here. I'm looking to purchase some Pro 5 cameras and was going to purchase a base station as well. I don't have a permanent internet connection but I do have a Nighthawk MR1100 which I was planning to connect to the base station via Ethernet. However, I have just been configuring settings in the MR1100 and spotted the Arlo section. It tells me that I can use it as a base station for Arlo cameras. 

I tried searching this community for compatibility with the Pro 5 cameras and other current models but was unable to find anything. Does anyone know if I can use this as a base station for these cameras? That would save me having to buy a new base station. 

Thanks so much in advance. 

Dannii.

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Danniielle wrote:

I tried searching this community for compatibility with the Pro 5 cameras and other current models but was unable to find anything. Does anyone know if I can use this as a base station for these cameras? That would save me having to buy a new base station. 

The MR1100 implementation is very old - completed before Arlo split off from Netgear in 2018.  I don't recommend using it with any Arlo camera.

You can connect the Pro 5s directly to the MR1100 wifi (no base needed).  Battery drain will be higher when the MR1100 isn't local and turned on, so you might need an outdoor charger. 

All currently sold cameras need a subscription for cloud storage.  (Note all the recordings you see in the app and my.arlo.com now are stored in the Arlo Cloud).

@Danniielle wrote:

That would save me having to buy a new base station. 

The Pro 5s is compatible with the VMB4000 (and newer) base stations.  The VMB4000 does support local recording, but not playback.  The only way to see the local recordings is to eject the storage device (using the app) and then connect it to a PC.

Danniielle
Aspirant
Aspirant

@StephenB 

Thank you so much for the super fast reply! Very much appreciated.

I'm planning to get a subscription so that's no problem. I'm also planning to use the Nighthawk exclusively for the Arlo cameras so it will always be local and present. 

That's handy to know I can connect the cameras directly to its WiFi without a base station too. I guess I could connect a few cameras to it given it accepts multiple connections.

Having a dedicated base station would come in handy for local recording though. One of my cameras will be in my recording studio and being able to capture video from it for use in video clips would be very handy. It isn't an immediate need though so I could always add it later. 

I noticed the "s" Pro 5s in the model you listed. Is that different from the Pro 5? I'm in Australia if that makes any difference. Perhaps it is a region specific thing?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Danniielle wrote:

I noticed the "s" Pro 5s in the model you listed. Is that different from the Pro 5? I'm in Australia if that makes any difference. 

There's only one Pro 5 model.  It was launched as the Pro 5s, and US web site still says that.  The Australian site just calls it the Pro 5.  Arlo might be in the process of dropping the "s".

Danniielle
Aspirant
Aspirant

@StephenB 

Thanks again for your reply. That's pretty much what I was thinking. 🙂

How do I do a quote on this platform?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Danniielle wrote:

How do I do a quote on this platform?

There is a toolbar over the text window, which includes a quote tool.

It's possible that it might not show up until reach a posting threshold (not sure).