Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Sceen displays vertical lines from bottom up.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
wilkiethegrid
Tutor
Tutor

I have five S5 2K  cameras and 3 older Pro 3 cameras all linked to an older Base station. I have two of the S5 cameras plugged in in order to utilize the foresight. Upon playback from these two cameras , after about 3 seconds into the video the screen displays  vertical lines similar to a bar code for about 3 seconds. I also get "trailing artifacts" like a "ghost figure" from moving objects at times from any camera playback.

What could I attribute these video failures to?  Weak network, radio frequency interference, defective base station or cameras?

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@wilkiethegrid wrote:

I have five S5 2K  cameras and 3 older Pro 3 cameras all linked to an older Base station. I have two of the S5 cameras plugged in in order to utilize the foresight. Upon playback from these two cameras , after about 3 seconds into the video the screen displays  vertical lines similar to a bar code for about 3 seconds.

Interesting timing, as the foresight buffer in the camera is 3 seconds.

Are you seeing these artifacts if you remove the AC power from the camera?

wilkiethegrid
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for responding, 

I do not experience the 3 second barcode type artifact when the S5 cameras are powered by Battery only.  I do experience a trailing artifact ghost like with moving objects on all cameras with about 10 percent  of recorded playbacks.

Yes, 3 seconds foresight  seems suspicious. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@wilkiethegrid wrote:

I do not experience the 3 second barcode type artifact when the S5 cameras are powered by Battery only.  I do experience a trailing artifact ghost like with moving objects on all cameras with about 10 percent  of recorded playbacks.

The artifacts can be caused by 

1. hardware issues with the camera compression
  2. loss on the camera->base connection
  3. loss on the base->cloud connection

(3) is unlikely, since your other cameras are fine.

I suggest testing the camera when it is closer to the base (at least 6 feet away though).  If you still see the same artifacts, then it is possible you have a defective camera.

wilkiethegrid
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks for your input, I will try swapping cameras, the S5 having this issue is positioned on the SAME wall outside about 15 feet from the base located inside. ( Maybe a "blind spot" signal wise, through the wall).  The base was purchased in 2017.  Maybe an upgrade would help. 

Could I try linking the S5 camera to my wi-fi network? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@wilkiethegrid wrote:

( Maybe a "blind spot" signal wise, through the wall).  

Could be.  If you have an Android phone, you can easily check this.  Install a network analyzer app (there are several free ones), and look at the signal strength of the base wifi.  While you are at it, you can check your home wifi signal.

With iPhone (or Android) you can also install the Ookla speedtest app, and measure your wifi internet speed at that location.  If the base is near the router/ap, then it's signal strength will be similar.

@wilkiethegrid wrote:

Could I try linking the S5 camera to my wi-fi network? 

You could, especially if the above test shows that you'd get a better signal.

Note this could also be a defective camera, so it is good to sort it out quickly.

@wilkiethegrid wrote:

The base was purchased in 2017.  Maybe an upgrade would help. 

All the bases have about the same range.  

The VMB5000 is dual-band, which would let you connect the Pro 5s at 5 ghz.  But 5 ghz is shorter range than 2.4, so it isn't likely to help in your situation (and could actually hurt).