Major issues with the forced updates to new cameras

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
koop1975
Initiate
Initiate

Due to the end of life for my old Arlo cameras, I "took advantage" of the discounted price and "upgraded" my entire system.  Currently I have (3) Arlo Pro 5S 2k cameras, and (2) Essential Spotlight cameras.    

All of the cameras are located in the exact positions as the old cameras.    The new cameras have fallen offline weekly since I got them.  Sometimes they fall offline minutes after I "fix" them.   By fixing them, it's a big ordeal.   I have to get out the ladder, use extension cords to plug them in to get them to blink, then remove them from my system, re-add them, re-position them, and redo my activity zones.    All of this, to have them fall offline again anywhere from a few minutes after I complete the process, but if I'm lucky they stay connected for a week or so.    

These are the worst cameras I've ever used.    I've tried connecting to the base station, direct to Wi-FI, and even the "secure link" that connects them to my Arlo security system.     Nothing works.   They are just useless.    PLEASE someone from Arlo tell me what the heck is wrong with these things!!!    I NEVER had this issue with my old cameras, and the only thing that changed, is the cameras.   Same locations, same internet, and same router.   Nothing has changed except for the cameras.    This is getting super old.  

5 REPLIES 5
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @koop1975 

Please reach out to the Support Team to further investigate this issue you are experiencing. You can find several options for contacting support though the Arlo Mobile App by navigating to the Profile icon > Support Center > Select device > contact

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Having a lot of headaches with Pro 5S going offline and missing events. I had a replacement sent under warranty for the same issue. My Pro 4 cameras (including one in same location as the Pro 5) don't have this issue now nor did they have it. 

I've raised this with Support however they are blaming my upstream bandwidth - however I informed them there is ample capacity (less than 1Mbit utilisation usually) and it's a link stability issue not a bandwidth issue. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@chicane wrote:

I've raised this with Support however they are blaming my upstream bandwidth

We've heard that before.  To be fair, it is sometimes a problem, especially if multiple cameras trigger at the same time.

FWIW, Pro 5s (like Pro 4) cameras need about 2 mbps of upstream bandwidth when streaming.  

One difference with the Pro 5s is that it might be connecting over 5 ghz wifi (which has shorter range). 

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

The bandwidth is there if/when a camera requires it. The KB mentions it as a requirement to cover Continuous video recording (CVR) use cases and I am not using that. 

The distance is slightly outside of the 5GHz coverage for this camera and it is connecting via 2.4GHz. 

The camera appears to go to sleep or into a state that is uncontactable. If I send a persistent ping to the device, it will go ~24seconds with no reply, then reply with 24+second ping replies that then stabilise anywhere between 60-360ms. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@chicane wrote:

The bandwidth is there if/when a camera requires it.

I wasn't meaning to say that lack of bandwidth is the problem in your case.

Though the 2 mbps is needed whenever the camera streams 2K.  Bandwidth needed for CVR should actually be less, since it is only 1080p and not 2K.

@chicane wrote:

The camera appears to go to sleep ... 

For sure, that is part of the power management.

But I believe it should respond in about 2 seconds when asleep, and not take 24.  Though it might be ignoring ping when it is in the sleep state. 

Are you seeing 24 second delays when livestreaming?  If you aren't routinely seeing that kind of delay in the app, then that suggests that ping isn't a good diagnostic.

Even though you aren't thinking it is a wifi issue, I'd still suggest testing with the camera closer to the wifi (maybe inside the house, about 6-10 feet away).  Just to be completely certain that the wifi connection has nothing to do with the problem.