Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
jonathanw55
Guide
Guide

Does the Pro 5S have Homekit support?  If so, what is required? 

Due to the EOL policy, I upgraded a couple of original Pro cameras and got the latest and greatest Pro 5S.  I currently have a couple of Pro 3 cameras and an Essential Indoor camera tied to my Apple Homekit.  However, I can't seem to get Homekit to recognize my Pro 5S. 

Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

Apple Home is now supported on Pro 5S 2K cameras and Arlo Wire-free Video Doorbells (AVD2001) when connected to a Base Station/SmartHub!

You can read more details about this here: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Announcements/Arlo-Pro-5S-2K-and-Arlo-Wire-Free-Video-Doorbell-AVD2001-are-now/m-p/2334789/thread-id/289

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The Base Station/SmartHub firmware to allow for AVD2001 and Pro 5S2K HomeKit integration is still in slow rollout. They delays have been due to issues that were discovered early in the slow rollout phase that are currently being resolved by the development team. We expect the firmware to be available to all users soon but I do not have a date available at this time. I will provide another update here on the community once I have more information available to share.

JamesC

• JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

The Base Station/SmartHub firmware that will allow HomeKit compatibility for Pro 5S 2K and Arlo Wire-Free Video Doorbells is still in slow rollout, so not all users have the firmware yet. We expect this firmware to be available to everyone very soon. I will continue to provide updates as soon as I have more information to share.

We apologize for any inconvenience this delay has caused.

JamesC

109 REPLIES 109
Jgosselin
Star
Star

IMG_1325.jpeg

FINALLY HERE IN CANADA/Quebec but guess what!?? The 3 cameras (5S) are shown as off and NO they are on and working very well. See picture…. Oh boy, a never ending story. Thanks Arlo

evenaga
Guide
Guide

Finally, problem solved. This morning when I woke up, my second Arlo SmartHub Base had already been updated to version 1.24, I can finally see and control my 4 PRO 5S cameras and the video doorbell from the Apple Home app. It has taken everything in the world and then some, but they have finally kept their word and since May 9, the SmartHub Bases have been updated. For my part finally resolved

QuintusPre
Luminary
Luminary

In Canada and one hub updated! The other has yet to update but clearly the rollout is happening!

ArloKiddingMe
Initiate
Initiate

I have been following this thread since summer of last year. It’s been one interesting ride, but you all are great and we have been through something together.

To the point/s, I can confirm that this morning (9AM ET daily checker) my Arlo Base Station (VMB5000r4) auto-updated to 1.24 firmware, which automagicallly (sort of, read on) then enabled my one Arlo Pro 5S cam within Apple Homekit.

**That said^, it wasn’t a perfect auto-update or setup and I needed to share some info with all of you…um, fellow sufferers of this “OOB-promised” feature release waiting game lol.

After the Arlo base station FW update, I could only see a newly added cam placeholder in my Apple ‘Home’ app but it was blacked out with a “No response” status and “cam” for the name.

So I went into the Arlo mobile app (iOS) and followed the process for adding cams to Homekit via the Arlo Base Station’s Homekit settings, but just got that awesome “Discovering your device. Please wait.” message/screen that never ends (noticing a false promise pattern here, Arlo lol).

So I left the Arlo app hanging there, went into Apple Home(Kit) app, and lo and behold the cam was now viewable, it could be renamed, and was functioning as expected (i.e., like all 5 of my other older cams). I then simply closed the Arlo app, which was stuck still “discovering devices” and reopened it with no issues in the Arlo app; checked Apple Home app and was still good (Pro 5S working as expected).

Not sure if my actions helped “complete the setup” but it’s what I did, started working, everything still works now, and I wrote this detailed reply to help you all but also hoping James/Arlo had to spend just a fraction of the time they have cost many of us customers for this now almost-successful-but-chronically-botched feature release.

Previous withstanding, I hope everyone gets the update and promised feature soon! And thank you all for helping me get through this terrible experience with some levity and sanity checking. 

Maxq104
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yesterday my second hub (4540) was updated to firmware 1.24 and the Pro 5s attached to it appeared in my Apple Home app with the rest of my cameras.  It was a long wait, but thank you!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Apple Home is now supported on Pro 5S 2K cameras and Arlo Wire-free Video Doorbells (AVD2001) when connected to a Base Station/SmartHub!

You can read more details about this here: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Announcements/Arlo-Pro-5S-2K-and-Arlo-Wire-Free-Video-Doorbell-AVD2001...

JamesC

MKwas9
Aspirant
Aspirant

James, Thanks for the HomeKit update.  Good news.  

If I purchase a SmartHub to connect my Pro 5S will that allow CVR?  

I am currently paying for the Arlo Secure plan.  Is the CVR plan separate?  So I'd pay both?  Or can upgrade to CVR from Secure plan once I have a SmartHub?  

Also, is there a difference between the Pro and Ultra SmartHubs?

A

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MKwas9 wrote:

If I purchase a SmartHub to connect my Pro 5S will that allow CVR?  

Yes.  The other requirement is that that Pro 5s will need to be connected to AC power.

@MKwas9 wrote:

I am currently paying for the Arlo Secure plan.  Is the CVR plan separate?  So I'd pay both?  

The CVR plan is separate, so you'd need to pay both.

@MKwas9 wrote:

Also, is there a difference between the Pro and Ultra SmartHubs?

The Pro smarthub (VMB4540) is single-band (2.4 ghz wifi).  It supports USB storage.

The Ultra smarthub (VMB5000)  is dual-band (2.4/5 ghz).  It supports microSD cards (not USB).

MKwas9
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the quick reply.  

So let me get this straight....   To have all the Arlo features....   I need to pay $250 for a camera (Pro5S).  $100-$150 for a Smart Hub.  The Secure Plan is $12.99 per month.  The CVR plan is $17.99 per month?  

Just seems a bit excessive, IMHO.  

Think I am going to return my latest purchase and cut my losses. 

Canadensis
Star
Star

Tech-top-tip: to cut your losses, you might also want to consider doing more research before making a purchase.