Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Custom Modes

Discussion stats
VictoriaPe
Follower
Follower

I have the most updated app and cameras. The new app has the Arm Away, Arm Home and Standby "Modes".

Is there are way to create a 4th mode? I'd like to be able to customize my modes a little more.

33 REPLIES 33
Tsquared1994
Initiate
Initiate

Arlo App Development Team,

Please allow users (or at a minimum paying subscribers) the ability to create a custom mode. The current three modes, Arm Home, Away, and Standby do not meet the needs of many users as seen by several other posts. 

I don’t want to create schedules or automations. I want to create a 4th, and 5th mode that I can give a specific name. Specifically for when I’m out in the garage or when I’m in the back yard. In both instances I am home, but need different cameras active/inactive for these instances and Arm Home does not suffice. We need the ability to create custom modes. Please let us know if this is planned for a future update (and when), or if this is not going to happen so we can all stop asking and wishing for this feature. Thank you.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

We appreciate you reaching out to us in regard to a feature request to be able to create your own customer modes. I have passed this onto our development team. I will update the community if I receive any further information. 

zooo
Initiate
Initiate

The new app UI drives me crazy. All my recordings are gone and as soon as I click on a device I'm told it is a paid feature. I am pretty upset with these changes.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Some features will only be able to be accessible with a subscription. However, this would have been with the old UI or the new one. There is no way to revert back to the old UI. Here is a link with what is included with a subscription:

https://www.arlo.com/en_eu/serviceplans

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@zooo wrote:

The new app UI drives me crazy. All my recordings are gone and as soon as I click on a device I'm told it is a paid feature. I am pretty upset with these changes.

If you are using local storage with no subscription, then you aren't looking in the right place.  Local recordings are not in the "Feed". You need to 

1. go to the "Devices" screen
  2. Select the smarthub
  3. select "Storage Settings"
BruskiJunk
Tutor
Tutor

You mean Arlo won't provide a way to roll back to the old UI.  It's a simple matter of programming in the ability to switch back. I know because I've been a IT manager for over 30 years.  Listen to your customers. There's a much longer thread over the psst year on this forum with many of your users asking for a way to roll back to the old UI.  If you won't provide a way to roll back then program a new UI to look like and function like the old UI. Otherwise you'll lose long time customers and get bad reviews.  It's up to ARLO to take action if they want to listen to what their customers have been saying for the past year!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You can't roll back because the old UI doesn't support the new cameras and security system.

DAVIDEAJ
Initiate
Initiate

We would like an update please from the development team. We have 5 devices and the inability to create custom modes (as was possible in the original library application)  is a serious flaw. We wish we understood this prior to the recent purchase of all these devices. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

As of now I do not have any further information. I will update the community if anything changes. 

Radses
Tutor
Tutor

The Old UI app works perfectly fine on all the new cameras that I've recently brought

For though I am now second guessing and getting rid of everything pages are low because the new UI app is terrible does not always work properly

brianbish
Star
Star

@BrookeN  Hey Arlo; when are you going to revert back to the old UI? Sincerely all Arlo users on the new terrible upgrade

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

We will not be reverting back to the old UI. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@VictoriaPe wrote:

The new app has the Arm Away, Arm Home and Standby "Modes".

Is there are way to create a 4th mode?

Unfortunately, no.

But there are a lot of folks who clearly need custom modes,  so I think Arlo will end up having to put them back.

Henry_dude
Tutor
Tutor

Hi!

Can we expect to get the app updated with more Modes?

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I have added a feature request for custom modes. When or if that will be implemented I am not sure of at them moment. But I will keep the community updated. 

Susquatch
Star
Star

When I upgraded to the new App, all my custom modes disappeared. Even worse, I can't figure out how to add them back in. Three modes is trivial and doesn't satisfy my needs. Can someone please tell me how to add custom modes like the old app had? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Susquatch wrote:

Can someone please tell me how to add custom modes like the old app had? 

You can't.  My guess is Arlo will end up adding that feature back, as there are a lot of situations that require more than three modes.

Susquatch
Star
Star

I read elsewhere that they did this to be compatible with the panel box which only has 3 mode buttons. 

That's no excuse. They could easily limit it to 3 modes from the panel but still have dozens of modes from the app or the web.

designer01
Initiate
Initiate

Please Add custom mode feature back to the app. Not having the ability to create custom modes to turn off specific cameras while keeping cameras on does not provide a customizable home security system. While I see that you can toggle on/off camera in the base three modes, doing  so each time for each camera is cumbersome, inconvenient, and inefficient. For instance if I am mowing the backyard, I would have to turn off each camera in the backyard off manually and than turn back on manually. I could set this as standby rules, but how about when I cut the front yard, and want the backyard cameras on?? Sure there is feature to set schedules, but does anyone cut their grass the same time/day each week? NO!  Custom modes gave us the ability to conveniently and seamlessly turn certain area cameras of, while still monitoring and securing other areas.

The solution: bring back custom mode creation ability.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I have put in a feature request for customer modes. I will keep the community updated.

Ourclemonsfamil
Initiate
Initiate

I’m waiting for a way to do this too.  With 12 cameras over 2 properties it would be nice to have my custom modes back.  Why they were removed with an update to the app I’ll never understand.  If it’s not broken, why try to fix it and break the system?

Jim-Kel
Aspirant
Aspirant

Arlo Secure App - Allow Silent Ring Change with Mode Customization

I am using the Arlo Secure app recently updated. I have a love / hate relationship with the Call Settings / Silent Ring. When I am home (Armed Home or Standby), I DO NOT want Arlo to call me to interact with someone at the front door. I have to fiddle with cell phone while greeting a visitor. But when I am AWAY, I love the feature.

I would love to be able to add a rule / customization to the Doorbell device so that it has Silent Ring when Armed - Home and another so that it has Silent Ring when Standby. And when switching to mode Armed - Away, to turn OFF Silent Ring.

But the device customizations are extremely limited, and do not include such a useful feature.

Please review and consider this request.

Jim

ps - my particular Doorbell is #AVD1001Ar1.2 - Arlo Essential Video Doorbell - Wired. But the same would apply to any type of doorbell.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

We appreciate your feedback and feature request for more customized modes. We have already opened a feature request for this with our development team. I will keep the community updated on any changes. 

Tilijaus
Initiate
Initiate

Please bring back the custom modes it was very useful. Similar uses to what's been mentioned in the forum earlier