Arlo Pro Smarthub Base VMB4540 with Inseego M3100 Hotspot

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Robe763
Aspirant
Aspirant

I recently purchased the smarthub base VMB4540 and Pro 5S cameras to put at another property. The property does not have wired internet service but does have cell service. So, I am connecting the smarthub to the wifi network via an Inseego M3100 wifi hotspot. The smarthub light is blue indication it is connected to the hotspot and the hotspot shows the device connected. However, i cannot get the arlo app to locate or recognize the smarthub so that i can add the new smarthub and the cameras to my current arlo account. 

I have opened the port forwarding on the hotspot -  http/https and added the smarthub IP address. Assuming this would open port 80 and port 443.

I have rest the smarthub

I have contacted arlo support with no luck

But still the app doesnt recognize or locate the new smarthub. Has anyone had this isssue or know of something i am missing or doing wrong.

Thanks,

10 REPLIES 10
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are you using a VPN? If so, disable it during setup. Is the phone also connected to the same WiFi? Have you tried using a computer to see if that helps (my.arlo.com)?

Robe763
Aspirant
Aspirant

I finally was able to get Arlo support on the phone and after a little more than an hour was able to get everything working. Now the real test is seeing if will work at the new location

I did have the VPN turned off.
My WiFi hotspot had both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz on. I had to switch that to 2.4 ghz only for the setup  then switch back after setup was completed. 
I’m not sure if it helped but before I contacted Arlo I also turn on the IP pass through for LAN and added the MAC address for smart hub.  the smart hub connects to the WiFi hotspot via the Ethernet cable and shows on the hotspot as LAN. 
the other thing I had to do was make sure my phone was connected to the same WiFi hotspot same as the smart hub. 

benutzer
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi,

You said you connected the hub to the hotspot with an ethernet cable. I assume that's with a USB-C adapter?

Is it necessary that the hub always connected that way?

Is there anything necessary to make the ethernet connection work with the adapter?

Thanks!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@benutzer wrote:

You said you connected the hub to the hotspot with an ethernet cable. I assume that's with a USB-C adapter?

The Inseego M3100 also has an RJ45 ethernet port (1 gb ethernet).

Robe763
Aspirant
Aspirant

The INSEEGO M3100 has an Ethernet connection and a USB. The USB connection on the INSEEGO is for the power connection to charge the battery. I plugged my smart hub to my INSEEGO hotspot via the Ethernet cable that came with the smart hub. 

I don’t know if it has to stay that way. I haven’t tried it with out it connected. From what I have read you have to connect the smart hub with a Ethernet connection either to a router or hotspot. I have another setup where my smart hub is connected to my WiFi extender and it is also connected via an Ethernet cable. 

as far as the Ethernet cable working with an adapter, I do not know. 

keep in mind that the Ethernet cable connection port on the INSEEGO M3100 is covered with a rubber cover. You pull that back to expose the Ethernet cable connection port. 
Hope this helps

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Robe763 wrote:

I don’t know if it has to stay that way.

One way or another, it needs to connect with ethernet.  That could be directly to the M3100, or it could be through a WiFi extender.

@Robe763 wrote:

The USB connection on the INSEEGO is for the power connection to charge the battery.

Per the manual it is also used for USB tethering, not just charging.  So it might be possible to connect the base to the USB port with a suitable adapter (one that has ethernet out and also an input USB charging port).  For instance, something like this:

Robe763
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have one base station connected with Ethernet cable to a WiFi extender and this base station connected to the hotspot via Ethernet cable. 
the Arlo site says the smarthub and base station have to connect via Ethernet cable. 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Robe763 wrote:

the Arlo site says the smarthub and base station have to connect via Ethernet cable. 

They do.

@Robe763 wrote:

I have one base station connected with Ethernet cable to a WiFi extender and this base station connected to the hotspot via Ethernet cable. 

Do you want it connected this way?  If not, there are other options.

1. get a small ethernet switch and connect both base stations to it.  Then connect the switch to the hotspot ethernet.
  2. do a risk-buy of a USB ethernet adapter (like the one I posted), and move one of the bases to the adapter.

(1) will certainly work, as long as you can get ethernet from both bases to the switch.  

(2) might work.  It depends on whether the Inseego properly handles the adapter.   Some dedicated devices will, others won't.

There are plusses and minuses to all these arrangements. But if you are ok with the current setup, then just leave everything as it is.

Robe763
Aspirant
Aspirant

The setup with the inseego hotspot is at another property and has limited cable service which is why I went with the hotspot. I have everything setup and connected to the hotpot and connect with my Arlo app. The hotspot will stay connected to power constantly and my cameras are also powered with charging cables instead of solar panels. I will know in a few weeks how they work. Hopefully there will be not issues

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Robe763 wrote:

The setup with the inseego hotspot is at another property. 

Got it.  I was assuming everything was at one location.