Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 5S usage abroad - Europe

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
limaechooscar
Aspirant
Aspirant

Dear Community,

I purchased an Arlo pro 5S in the US last year back in November. I am now in Switzerland and trying to set-it up. 

The camera wasn’t supported until recently in Europe and could only proceed with the installation early April.

Unfortunately the device doesn’t connect after scanning the barcode (I hear the chime).

So far I have done the following:

1. factory reset of the camera

2. tried to install the camera from iPad, laptop and iphone

3. disable entirely my 5G network to avoid a crossover (although my 2G network has a different name)

4. Perform installation close to my router (1 meter)

5. Unplug the repeater from my network 

6. disable mobile connection on my iPhone 

7. Tried to bind the camera on another network 

8. Monitor connection on my router after the camera chime and I see no attempt for the camera to initiate a connection on the wifi

9. renamed my 2G network

10. re-installe the Arlo 4 that I’m already using to validate the process is not linked to my network

12. check my camera SN with support is correct

13. light a candle an pray

European support was unable to help and it become apparent there is no willingness to support an existing customer. 

my questions re as follow:

- are cameras restricted to the purchase region?

- is a setting to be amended so I can install it?

- what solution do I have which do not involve sending back the hardware for repair?

- I was unable to chat with US support as recommended by EU support, this is due to GDPR restrictions 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
limaechooscar
Aspirant
Aspirant

3rd level support was amazing (Jeffrey N), the cause of the issue wasn't linked to regional settings of the camera:

1. Changed the encryption type from WPA3/WPA2 to WPA2-only even if the Pro 4 connects to this with no issues. See their explanation below.

In the newer FW there are commits to handle this security type, but the default factory FW that is on the camera currently might not have those changes.

I changed the security type on the Router to WPA2-PESK or something that is not WPA3. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

One thing you don't mention is whether you also removed the camera from your account. A reset will also require that.

Since you had it working previously, it would seem that all you needed to do initially was to change the WiFi it was connected to. However, you're way past that. While I doubt it's an issue, can you ping arlo.com from a computer to ensure that works? If not, it may be a router and/or ISP issue. However, THAT doesn't seem to be an issue since you reinstalled a Pro 4. That seems to point to removing the camera from your account before you can reconnect it.

limaechooscar
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi @jguerdat ,

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

1. I already have a Arlo Pro 4 linked to my account. This camera was removed entirely and re-added to "test" if a camera could be added to my account.

2. the connection issue only occurs with the Arlo Pro 5 that could never connect to my account at all. I am tempted to VPN as a last resort.

Thanks 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yeah, the VPN would be a last resort. 

I suppose the Pro 5 isn't officially supported in the EU - @JamesC or @ShayneS ?

limaechooscar
Aspirant
Aspirant

1. activated VPN on router with Gateway in Boston, MA

2. iphone location deactivated, cellular deactivated 

3. same issue

4. VPN on Phone as well 

5. same issue

6.my.arlo account has a country that cannot be changed and I can't create a US account without a mobile in the US

7. My camera SN is: a9m12875d015f

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

limaechooscar,

I've escalated the details of your post to the development team for review. An agent will be reaching out to you via email to collect more information.

JamesC

limaechooscar
Aspirant
Aspirant

3rd level support was amazing (Jeffrey N), the cause of the issue wasn't linked to regional settings of the camera:

1. Changed the encryption type from WPA3/WPA2 to WPA2-only even if the Pro 4 connects to this with no issues. See their explanation below.

In the newer FW there are commits to handle this security type, but the default factory FW that is on the camera currently might not have those changes.

I changed the security type on the Router to WPA2-PESK or something that is not WPA3.