Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Arlo Pro 5S - unreliable junk (missing events, taking snapshots). Pro 4 in same location works fine.

Discussion stats
chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've had ongoing headaches with my Pro 5S cameras not detecting events or taking snapshots instead.

Today I did a side by side test with a Pro 4 camera in the same location. Both devices are on 2.4GHz and connected to an outdoor Ubiquiti AP (great signal strength for both). I did try the device on 5GHz and found it to be similarly flaky so reverted to a hopefully more stable 2.4GHz connection. Unfortunately not.

Since I have done this side by side test, the Pro 4 is detecting every event (and recording a video). 

The pro 5 recorded video once, completely missed one event and recorded a snapshot instead for the third event. With the video was choppy and audio partially missing at the start, while the Pro4 was smooth and had audio for the full clip.

Both devices are active under my subscription, set identical under the routine (to record video), and smart notifications set the same.

I've had this replaced with a new sealed unit by support for the second time with the same outcome.

Are these devices inherently faulty? anyone else experiencing similar?
Best answers
  • BrookeN
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The firmware has started rolling out. It should be completed within the next week. As soon as that is fully rolled out the behavior you are seeing will be resolved. 

• BrookeN
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

I have this escalated to the engineering team. I will update the community as soon as possible. 

563 REPLIES 563
roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@chicane 

Are you working with anyone to get this fixed...or know if anyone is actually working on this serious issue?

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@roundball Support closed my case despite them reassuring me it would not happen. @BrookeN said she was going to do something to get it reopened but nothing has happened. 

Right now I am using my Pro 4 cameras in more critical locations until this basketcase Pro 5S issue is sorted.

I am flabbergasted that Arlo can fumble a serious issue for so long without any public acknowledgement, aside from this thread. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@chicane   @BrookeN 

...................................................................................................................

".....I am flabbergasted that Arlo can fumble a serious issue for so long without any public acknowledgement, aside from this thread....."

....................................................................................................................

I'm very frustrated with it as well Chicane.

BrookeN...I'm sure you're very busy...and I don't like bothering you.

I / we've asked about this very serious problem multiple times already.
"Missing motion detection problems"

"Very slow posting of detections to the Feed"

Please tell us now:  WHEN will our expensive security cameras work ??

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@roundball I am starting to suspect that @BrookeN has been told to limit how much information she can be reveal regarding the full extent of the issue.

This has been 4 months since I created this Arlo Community thread. There was months prior that I was gaslighted by official support blaming everything about my own setup while I dare say they were aware of problems with this model.

While I know that going back via Arlo Support channels will be akin to me banging my head against the wall, I will lodge a new case referencing the existing to try and get some formal support (rather than the informal support that @BrookeN has been providing).

I have even reached out to the CEO of Arlo Support on LinkedIn to discuss, however I doubt they will reply (at least the formal company line is somewhat consistent - devoid of any honesty about the issue). 

WLynne
Guide
Guide

Hi BrookeN

For the last two or three days, I have been attempting to connect the last of my two Arlo Pro 5S cameras that I originally purchased with the other three, but to no avail.

Today, I contacted technical support, who also tried to assist me in making the connection. I tried connecting via my computer and the app on my cell phone. I have never had difficulty connecting before.

My question to you is: Could this difficulty be the result of being on a field trial and not wanting to add more complications to the equation?

Kenny7522
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you BrookeN,

So it means I have wait for any software update?

But in the period, I can’t record video.

Chkpost
Aspirant
Aspirant

@BrookeN 

5 of my 6 cameras that you scheduled were updated overnight.  

Can you check why 1 of them didn’t update ie was there an error or was it just missed.  It was already on firmware 1.040.28.17_195_ac8359b and it is still on that version.  

All the rest were updated to 1.050.33.3_41_9322fd5

Thanks again.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@chicane I do have a ticket for support to reach out to you. I apologize that has not happened yet, however I did reach out again today to let them know it needed to be done asap. 

@roundball I understand your frustration. I ask for updates everyday and provide any information that I get. I do not have any further information at the moment. But as soon as I do I will reach out to this group and provide the update. 

@Kenny7522 yes you will need to wait for the firmware for the port forwarding. I will keep you updated on when that is available. 

@Chkpost I am looking into that now. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN

@chicane

@Kenny7522

@Chkpost

@WLynne

Thanks for acknowledging BrookeN.

Without reliable / quick motion detection & posting to the Feed, the existing Arlo 5s cam & UI situation is worthless where important security systems are needed.

I hope you'll understand that we can no longer sit idly by and allow our family members / relatives / friends / neighbors to buy Arlo Pro5s cameras with such existing / unsupported serious problems.

Kenny7522
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you BrookeN,

Do you have a timeline for the firmware for the port forwarding?

Does anyone accept that someone pays for a Secure Camera with a saving device but it is not allowed to save anything?

At the same time, the monthly charge plan "cloud" works properly.

Is it a conflict of interest?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kenny7522 wrote:

Does anyone accept that someone pays for a Secure Camera with a saving device but it is not allowed to save anything?

Can you explain what you mean by this? You should still be getting recordings in the local storage, even though port forwarding doesn't work on iPhones.

IMO Arlo should have fixed port forwarding by now, as it's been over two months.

Kenny7522
Aspirant
Aspirant

@StephenB 

hi StephenB,

I don’t any video record in my ARLO app. But the setting should be all good?

Photos for your reference.

Thank you.

F8E0C7F8-21C6-4765-8629-4C235836DF78.jpeg

93C6F265-38E1-496B-A1FD-4966688E596E.jpeg

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kenny7522 wrote:

I don’t any video record in my ARLO app. But the setting should be all good?

Photos for your reference.

This is set up correctly. 

1. Have you checked the mode you are using, to make sure the camera is armed?  (and told to record when it detects motion).
  2. Also, are you getting notifications when you walk in front of the camera?
Chkpost
Aspirant
Aspirant

@BrookeN 

Just to follow up….

My 6th camera did update overnight so now all of them are on the 1.050.33.3_41_9322fd5 firmware now.

Kenny7522
Aspirant
Aspirant

@StephenB 

1. Armed mode.

and record when it detects motion.

is it correct?

150D6CF7-5FA1-4B60-B76C-E7016705E1E2.jpeg

2. Yes, I have notification when it detects motion. But nothing video recorded.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kenny7522 wrote:

1. Armed mode.

and record when it detects motion.

is it correct?

150D6CF7-5FA1-4B60-B76C-E7016705E1E2.jpeg

This looks fine.

@Kenny7522 wrote:

2. Yes, I have notification when it detects motion. But nothing video recorded.

Are you looking in the storage settings, not the feed?

Also, have you tried ejecting the microSD card using the app, and then connecting it to a PC?  That would help determine if this is a recording issue or a playback issue.

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

QUESTION:

To be clear...does downloading / installing a fresh copy of the Arlo app from the App.Store, have any effect what-so-ever on installed 5s Field Trial or Production Firmware?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

No. The app is just an interface into your account. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks...that was my understanding as well...just trying to consider any possible trouble-shooting that might cause continued 5s problems with the cams or UI app. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Curious if anyone has been moved:
FROM 5s Field Trial Firmware
TO 5s Production Firmware

Thanks

Kenny7522
Aspirant
Aspirant

@StephenB 

Not feed.

nothing in storage settings.

It would be recording issue.

always 192kb used of 512GB USB disk.
Never use any memory.

thank you.

A7920EF1-BC08-48ED-A2EB-B1750ABBC965.jpeg

4A3D49F8-1B3B-4C7E-BAAA-7E446ECD8654.jpeg

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Kenny7522 wrote:

It would be recording issue.

I suggest ejecting the flash drive in the app and connecting it a PC.  If the PC offers to "repair" it, then let it do so.

You could also remove the base and camera from the account, reset both devices and add them back.

You reset the base with a paper clip.  To reset the camera, you remove it from the housing and press the sync button inside until the camera LED flashes amber (~ 15 seconds).

WLynne
Guide
Guide

Dear BrookeN

Enough is enough.   I want my money back immediately for the 5 Arlo Pro5S cameras plus one doorbell.

I’ve made several attempts to resolve these ongoing issues with Arlo Pro5S cameras on my own.  I have been patient, but it’s now becoming intolerable.

I would like to report that, as of 10:03 p.m. Sunday, my Arlo Pro5S camera facing the driveway, street, and front lawn had not recorded for over twenty hours. The most recent recording occurred at 5:09 p.m. Saturday, and there was no recording for Saturday evening.

All the events were selected in the feed as well as devices.

Spotlight was selected, and the video was set to wide with colour night vision.  Motion and audio are set to medium by default, with the recording length set until the activity stops. 

No settings have been configured for the activity zone. Additionally, clicking on the Activity Zone tab causes the program to freeze, requiring me to shut it down and restart three times this evening.

Today, I needed to check my camera feed and save the recording for a particular time period.  There was no recording.  

I just started viewing my recordings from August 1 but have yet to finish and found further examples of no recording for the exact same camera as follows: 

August 6, 2024

Only three videos between the time period of 8:20 pm-1:14 pm

The last recording for the day was 1:14 pm.

August 5, 2024

15 videos 7:29 am-4:09 pm

The last recording for the day was 4:09 pm

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Roundball,

I had an offer by direct message if I wanted my cameras moved across. I asked if this is the FT firmware rebadged or does it have other fixes as well. If it's the same as the latest FT release, I can't see why not. I would like some assurances though and not get some new unexpected 'features' (bugs). 

>Curious if anyone has been moved:
>FROM 5s Field Trial Firmware
>TO 5s Production Firmware

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@chicane 

I couldn’t answer that question either, without knowing the implications of doing so.

I asked for the Pros & Cons…