Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Arlo Pro 5S - unreliable junk (missing events, taking snapshots). Pro 4 in same location works fine.

Discussion stats
chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've had ongoing headaches with my Pro 5S cameras not detecting events or taking snapshots instead.

Today I did a side by side test with a Pro 4 camera in the same location. Both devices are on 2.4GHz and connected to an outdoor Ubiquiti AP (great signal strength for both). I did try the device on 5GHz and found it to be similarly flaky so reverted to a hopefully more stable 2.4GHz connection. Unfortunately not.

Since I have done this side by side test, the Pro 4 is detecting every event (and recording a video). 

The pro 5 recorded video once, completely missed one event and recorded a snapshot instead for the third event. With the video was choppy and audio partially missing at the start, while the Pro4 was smooth and had audio for the full clip.

Both devices are active under my subscription, set identical under the routine (to record video), and smart notifications set the same.

I've had this replaced with a new sealed unit by support for the second time with the same outcome.

Are these devices inherently faulty? anyone else experiencing similar?
Best answers
  • BrookeN
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

The firmware has started rolling out. It should be completed within the next week. As soon as that is fully rolled out the behavior you are seeing will be resolved. 

• BrookeN
    Arlo Moderator
    Arlo Moderator

I have this escalated to the engineering team. I will update the community as soon as possible. 

563 REPLIES 563
BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@roundball they all are on field trial now. But remember you have to wait about 24 hours to see it on the cameras. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks @BrookeN

It's beyond me why "support" sent me a case update like it did.

I'll go with your explanation...will check the cams tomorrow / next day and let you know...thanks again.

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN 

Both of my other 5s cams had the Field Trial Firmware installed when I checked this morning.

And knock-on-wood, all 4 of them seem to be working fast & smooth on WIFI.

I'll watch things for a few days and provide a usability update.

PS:

Your very helpful support & assistance has simply been outstanding.

If you like, send me a private note of any high level Arlo contact that I could send a complimentary message on your behalf, with you on copy.

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN 

FWIW:
It's only going on 3 days now but my four Pro5s cameras have now been running around the clock on WIFI with the Field Trial Firmware installed, and knock-on-wood, performance seems clean & sharp.

I routinely have numerous motion triggers around the clock with deliveries, deer, rabbits, squirrels, birds, moths, etc.....and they get recorded properly as they did in the past years of Arlo cameras.

It's been a lot of months of time consuming aggravation...keeping my fingers crossed, hoping this current good operation continues right on...will keep you updated.

👌

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi @BrookeN 

Just to clear up some confusion, has there been some new revisions to the field trial firmware?

Originally it was 1.040.28.13_152_2450fc8 - has this been replaced with 1.040.28.17_194_ac8359b?

Is there any info as to the technical differences between the two?

Thanks for your ongoing help with this saga.

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi @roundball 

I interpreted @BrookeN's comments that a 195 release will supersede the 194 field trial firmware once they promote it to the primary public release. I don't think they are ready to publish it broadly yet though. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@chicane 

Agree.....Have your 5s cams settled down now ?

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@roundball I did get some occasional snapshots on one of my in-use Pro 5S cameras (with the Field Trial Firmware). 

I have provided this to @BrookeN as I can't post to the case as the 'support' team closed it off. 

I would really like to know what changes are included in this newer 194 FTF..

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@chicane wrote:

I would really like to know what changes are included in this newer 194 FTF..

FWIW, Arlo never says (even with production releases).

Almost certainly there are other fixes being tested that are not related to your problem.

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@chicane 

It's the same with the periodic updates to the Arlo Secure App...never any specifics about what was being addressed.

On a possibly related note...while historically there are normally just monthly updates to the app...there have been 5 App updates during this past month alone...no idea if any of them were related to 5s issues or what.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@roundball wrote:

On a possibly related note...while historically there are normally just monthly updates to the app...there have been 5 App updates during this past month alone...no idea if any of them were related to 5s issues or what.

No way to tell, but there are certainly plenty of issues left to fix in the app.

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Strange thing happened with my Arlo 5s cams on WIFI today.

Everything had been running fine with the Field Trial Firmware for a few days now.

Mid-morning I noticed one the UI images of a 5s cam had gone dark / unresponsive.

All the little symbols across the bottom on the screen were dark / empty.

Checked others that “looked right” in their UI screens but they didn’t work right.

Checked / tested that all my other systems & software worked perfectly using hardwire internet connection and using just WIFI internet connection, no problems.

Powered off & on all the cameras, no help.

Powered off & on all the network equipment, no help.

Tried the other iPhone that’s also used, no help.

Signed into / tried everything from the Arlo site, no help.

Completely removed  / reinstalled the Arlo Secure App on my phone, no help.

The one 5s stayed totally dark / offline in the app and the others just didn’t work.

Finally, got out a ladder, de-installed / removed that 5s from the system.

Installed a different 5s in its place, and 'everything' started working again.

Then reset / reinstalled the failed 5s on a Base Station, and in so doing, that forced the replacement of the Field Trial Firmware with the original pre-Field Trial Firmware.

That 5s then worked / is working fine on the Base Station.

( and all others continue to also work fine / normal on WIFI ).

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@StephenB I understand they don't publicise this information but the information would be available internally.

Maybe @BrookeN can help get the dev team to advise. 

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@roundball 

"It's the same with the periodic updates to the Arlo Secure App...never any specifics about what was being addressed.

On a possibly related note...while historically there are normally just monthly updates to the app...there have been 5 App updates during this past month alone...no idea if any of them were related to 5s issues or what."

Being application updates, I suspect it has nothing to do with the camera device firmware bugs/updates.

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

would have been interesting to know what happened if a battery remove/install happened?

Sounds like the device locked up if it became unresponsive like that. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@chicane 

Didn't know periodic updates to the App were literally only dealing with the App.

Yes, I assume loss of battery connection would have shut that one cam down...but I don't see how one cam battery connection failure would have made all the other cams visible but with varying degrees of interoperability, particularly in spite of all the various power off / on / reset activity I did that seems like any frozen system issues would have been broken up.

I'm trying hard to remain patient with all this stuff...🙄

WLynne
Guide
Guide

Yes, I would definitely like to proceed with it.

Chkpost
Aspirant
Aspirant

Honestly, this firmware update for the 5S can’t get here soon enough.  I have 6 cameras and they are on 2 different firmware revisions.  Why?  Why don’t these all update to the most current production release.  I can only imagine how long it will take for all of them to get this new 195 version that supposedly fixes things.  Right now they are just expensive doorstops.  Ridiculous.

1.040.28.7_93_caa9491

1.040.28.15_167_1880273

1.040.28.7_93_caa9491

1.040.28.7_93_caa9491

1.040.28.7_93_caa9491

1.040.28.15_167_1880273

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@WLynne yours have been moved over. Please allow 24hrs to see the changes.

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@Chkpost 

Well, we here are very, very lucky that the Community Moderator @BrookeN has gone to bat for us and can have all your 5s cams upgraded to at least the latest working version of Field Trial Firmware in a day or so.
Reach out to her at @BrookeN 

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

@roundball but shouldn't it be that you should have had a working camera in the first place, rather than giving up months to test for them? Also, with every user spending a lot of money on their products, I'd expect a high level of customer care as standard. Maybe I'm missing the point here, so would love to be enlightened. 

WLynne
Guide
Guide

Yes, I absolutely agree with your comment. One would expect that any product or software, be it a vehicle, airplane, or security camera, would be subjected to extensive testing and retesting before being released to the public. Moreover, it is regrettable that numerous Arlo customers may be subscribed to a service that fails to meet their expectations.

Chkpost
Aspirant
Aspirant

I agree that @BrookeN is awesome.  But frankly, she shouldn’t have to be the hero for this company.  We all paid for the cameras and most of us pay regularly for a subscription.  They don’t pay me to test for them.  I just pay them.  This stuff should just work.  

I understand that things happen with complicated tech devices.  It’s all about how a company responds to those issues with priority and transparency.

WLynne
Guide
Guide

I apologize for my bluntness in advance. 

I would like to update my previous post about the break-in at my backyard neighbour's home.  A police officer visited me to discuss the incident. I discovered that the culprit had driven past my home, parked on the side street two doors away, and then went to my neighbour's house across from my backyard.

The officer asked if my security cameras, which covered my driveway, front lawn, and backyard, caught any footage related to the break-in.

Regrettably, despite my active annual subscription, I couldn't assist because my Arlo Pro 5S Security Camera didn't capture any video or record to the cloud.

The new Arlo Pro 5S camera, intended to replace our outdated cameras, has failed to deliver on its security and protection promises, failing to consistantly record any suspicious activity. This is evident from the slashing of my tyre's sidewall and a break-in at my neighbour's house within a span of one and a half to two months.

I am somewhat confident that the long-standing issues with the Arlo Pro 5S will be resolved in the near future. In the meantime, can I leave my home and, let's say, head north to cottage country without any worries, especially given that my community has been experiencing break-ins?

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Can't find the answer searching the user manual.

So a Question for the Brain Trust:

What does the "Restart" button do in a Pro 5s Device Section ?

Under what conditions / when would it be needed, etc?

Thanks