Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Arlo Pro 5S - unreliable junk (missing events, taking snapshots). Pro 4 in same location works fine.

Discussion stats
chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've had ongoing headaches with my Pro 5S cameras not detecting events or taking snapshots instead.

Today I did a side by side test with a Pro 4 camera in the same location. Both devices are on 2.4GHz and connected to an outdoor Ubiquiti AP (great signal strength for both). I did try the device on 5GHz and found it to be similarly flaky so reverted to a hopefully more stable 2.4GHz connection. Unfortunately not.

Since I have done this side by side test, the Pro 4 is detecting every event (and recording a video). 

The pro 5 recorded video once, completely missed one event and recorded a snapshot instead for the third event. With the video was choppy and audio partially missing at the start, while the Pro4 was smooth and had audio for the full clip.

Both devices are active under my subscription, set identical under the routine (to record video), and smart notifications set the same.

I've had this replaced with a new sealed unit by support for the second time with the same outcome.

Are these devices inherently faulty? anyone else experiencing similar?
224 REPLIES 224
roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@-Gerbs 
Curious, is your situation WITH the 'Field Trial Firmware' installed?

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

@roundball  I asked that question and was told no. I’ve done everything with these cameras; turned them off/on, logged out of the app, off loaded the app, factor reset, etc.  

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wonder if you called 'Support' and asked them to download the "5s Field Trial Firmware #  1.040.28.13_152_2450fc8.....if they could or would.
Maybe try it on just a couple of your cameras?

.......................................................................................................

FWIW – My 5s Firmware Info

Latest STANDARD Pro 5s firmware # at my WIFI camera installations…PRIOR to the Field Trial Firmware upgrade:

5s Standard Firmware # 1.040.28.7_93_caa9491

……………………………………………………………………..

And “Field Trial Firmware” that they installed on 2 of my WIFI connected 5s cameras:

5s Field Trial Firmware # 1.040.28.13_152_2450fc8

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

@roundball  It’s already installed in all my cameras. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

My apology...confused after the previous 2 post answers.

Just trying to help...to clarify, you can see this Field Trial Firmware # installed inside each 5s camera?

1.040.28.13_152_2450fc8

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

No worries. I appreciate the help. Yes the firmware is in all 4 of my cameras. 

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

OK, thanks...

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@BrookeN .....hope you're doing OK...Question please:

Can you find out / share with us what all was included in the recent larger than normal Arlo Secure Update 4.14.5 ?

Took noticeably longer to download & install than typical updates.

AND A QUESTION FOR ANY 5s CAMERA USERS:

Any changes / improvements in the set of nagging 5s problems?

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

@BrookeN  I have no improvements with my issues. I’ve done everything that the support people have asked me to do. I don’t understand how my

cameras went from operating normal to a complete **bleep** show. I paid a lot for something not to work properly. I will ask you, how much longer should I wait for a fix? When will Arlo ask me to return my cameras for a refund or an exchange? I’ve been consumed with trying all the suggested fixes from Arlo support and nothing works. This is not fair to me or the other Arlo customers who are having problems. Shame on Arlo when they say “log out and log back into the app,” or when they say your internet might be the issue. I would rather be told that Arlo has no figgin idea why my cameras are not working than the typical try this BS.  

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@-Gerbs.....I went through months dealing with arlo support and finally realized it actually doesn't exist in any 21st century level of quality.

A different individual every time who just reads off "do this"  and  "do that" from a computer list with no actual knowledge whatsoever.

The icing on the cake was when a so called "level 2" support person sent me an Email claiming in writing (email) that there are no problems with  Pro5s cameras.

That's when I decided that innocent unsuspecting customers needed to know ahead of time what they were buying into and declared right here in this forum that I thought it was time to start a thread on the big NEXTDOOR community website and start getting the real word out about arlo camera products.

Then BrookeN got involved and I was impressed with how she really communicated about and pushed for this "Field Trial Firmware" test install...so I held off starting the thread on NEXTDOOR for now to give this a chance.

We all have to decide where our 'red line' is, and it sounds like your situation has reached / crossed your red line.

If so, you need to decide if you want to escalate your situation...get it well documented then put that text in a case # so it'll survive as it's sent around.

Insist that it be assigned to "level 2" or if not get an arlo  manager involved, etc...and insist that arlo send you new working 5s replacements ASAP or a refund.

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

@roundball the problem is even a replacement has the same fault (in my experience).

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@chicane 

Understand that…his post basically seemed to say following support’s suggestions his cameras are now worse off than when he got them, and he said he verified the Field Trial Firmware is indeed installed…just trying to discuss options to consider.

While I hate the lack of quick quality arlo support, I need a set of working cameras during all this…and I’ve learned my 5s cameras out of the box work fine on a base station.

And I’ve learned the 2 I have on WIFI with the Field Trial Firmware installed also work fine.

PS:  I don’t have any of the dim light / motion / not recording issues because mine have plenty of good LED yard light.

( And that’s an example about we all may have different ‘red lines’ so to speak )

So to me, I can wait and see about the permanent fix because worst case I can just put them all on a base station and get on with my life.

Roaringpants
Tutor
Tutor

Update:

So my camera is now capturing all the events and is recording them and sending notifications ✔️

There is still a problem with the motion detection light being greyed out first thing every morning, however it still records all the events and switching to standby then back brings the icon back to white again. 
Recap- I’m on a strong 2.4 WiFi connection, using the field trial firmware. 
Thanks

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

@roundball 

But you're missing the point. While it's ok that you can wait for a permanent fix, essentially this product, in the eyes of the law, is not as described and so not fit for purpose. It shouldn't have been released without being properly tested. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Sorry for my delay in response as I am not here on the weekends. I assure you I am working with the development team and informing them with all the information that you are providing.  Thank you to all that responded to my question. 

@Wolfpretzel I will have your Pro 5 moved over to the Field Trial.
@Roaringpants I will be sending you a PM.
@-Gerbs I will be sending you a PM as well.
@chicane I noticed the devices were removed from your account. So I am no longer able to look into your Pro 5
@roundball It is stability and performence updates.

If I skipped anyone please let me know.  

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi @BrookeN 

Excuse me, what? That's totally incorrect.

Back South 5S and Front Deck are still active and in use.

The other two (Inc Driveway Pro 5S) are still under my camera list as well. 

I had put a Pro 4 back at my driveway as it works far better than the Pro 5S even with the field trial firmware on.

Also could you please reply to my message regarding the scope of the issue?

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

The email address that was pulling up was not the same as the Arlo account I apologize for the confusion. You can reach out to Jeff from support who has been helping you. As he would know the most of the questions that you are asking. 

AlixO
Guide
Guide

@BrookeN you missed me.

I checked my cameras in Alarm mode this morning - all 4, the pro 5s and the Essential Spotlights had flicked to a grey motion icon, but the motion setting in alarm mode was on. I flicked them to standby and back to alarm and the motion icons came back on. 
I took screen shots if you need them. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@AlixO sorry I missed you. However, I did send what you are experiencing to the development team. If you could send me those screenshots those would be very helpful. Thank you. 

AlixO
Guide
Guide

Thanks @BrookeN - I’ve sent you the screenshots in a DM. 

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi @BrookeN have provided this email via DM (already provided to Shane's previously). Jeffrey has unfortunately been less helpful than you to be honest. 

Could we please get some public clarity about the scope of the issue and also if it affects direct wifi only (not arlo base station) connected cameras like someone has hypothesised?

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

Just switch my cameras to a smart hub. Shocker, still

not working. 

chicane
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for clarifying @-Gerbs

roundball
Apprentice
Apprentice

@-Gerbs 

Interesting...did you revert back to the previous routine 5s Firmware...or is the Field Trial Firmware still operational in them ?

I moved a pair of 5s to a base station before I became involved with the Field Trial Firmware...( which only came down and installed on the other pair of 5s that are WIFI connected ).

And I've  kept the 2 sets of pairs separated like that to always have clean difference sets of 5s configurations to monitor / report on.

Knock on wood, both sets continue to work fine.

-Gerbs
Guide
Guide

IMG_8405.jpeg

This is the firmware after I installed the smart hub. I was told that my internet is the problem. I have Xfinity and have been chatting for about 1hour. They can’t find any issues with my internet. Everything else connect to my WiFi is working with NO issues.