Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

Arlo Pro 5S - How can it be used with a Hub, for local recording?

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
EOLuser
Follower
Follower

Being caught by the end-of-life of my current set of cameras (Pro 2), I must buy all new cameras.

Arlo Support suggested moving to the Pro 5S. However, the Pro 5S connects directly to wifi, without a Hub. Can the Pro 5S connect to a hub instead, to support recording on local storage as well (e.g. USB external drive)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@EOLuser wrote:

Being caught by the end-of-life of my current set of cameras (Pro 2), I must buy all new cameras.

The EoL date for the Pro 2 was just changed to 1 January 2025, so about two years from now.  Also, Arlo removed the statements about removing 7-day free cloud storage.  So no need for a subscription (or direct access to local storage) if you continue to use the Pro 2s.

So you don't need to anything right now.

@EOLuser wrote:

Can the Pro 5S connect to a hub instead, to support recording on local storage as well (e.g. USB external drive)?

Yes. See

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@EOLuser wrote:

The EoL date for the Pro 2 was just changed to 1 January 2025, so about two years from now.  Also, Arlo removed the statements about removing 7-day free cloud storage.  So no need for a subscription (or direct access to local storage) if you continue to use the Pro 2s.

So you don't need to anything right now.

@EOLuser wrote:

Can the Pro 5S connect to a hub instead, to support recording on local storage as well (e.g. USB external drive)?

Yes. See

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Also, EOL doesn't mean your cameras immediately stop working. They will not get updates, features may stop working and free cloud recordings will cease. Buying a subscription gets you cloud recordings but wait until they are going away unless you want the extra days storage or some other feature.