Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

local storage not saving for my pro4 xl

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
apple14
Aspirant
Aspirant

Cloud saving is fine, but local saving doesn't work at all. I tried both a HD and a USB drive. format using the app, reboot everything. nothing works. Hub could ID the HD or the USB drive, status shows good but it just doesn't save any record locally. Cloud saving works fine. please help. I appreciate.

9 REPLIES 9
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@apple14 wrote:

Hub could ID the HD or the USB drive, status shows good but it just doesn't save any record locally. Cloud saving works fine. 

Are you just checking this with the app?  Or have you removed the drive, put it in a PC and checked what's on it?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

FYI, only the VMB4540 and 5000 hubs support direct viewing of local recordings using the app (it's not supported using the web client). Any other supported base requires safely ejecting the drive for viewing on a computer.

apple14
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. Yes I tried both. neither works. when I took the HD off and checked on PC, it had a folder named arlo, but no file in it.

apple14
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your reply. I have the VMB4540, just bought from Costco.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@apple14 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. Yes I tried both. neither works. when I took the HD off and checked on PC, it had a folder named arlo, but no file in it.

Maybe check to see if the drive has multiple partitions.  The Windows disk manager will give you that info. If it does, then you'll need to remove them all, and reformat (so there is only one partition).

Also, the thumbdrive would need to be 16 GB or larger.

apple14
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for your info. I did that also. my HD is 512G and USB drive is 16G,both only have 1 partition. I tried reformate them by PC then by the arlo app several times, but same thing. arlo baseHub will only create a folder but won't save anything in the folder. Maybe I got a lemon. I will return it to Costco.

Jim006
Guide
Guide

I found it will only store video in the following circumstances (all must be true):

• Camera must be armed
  • Motion event is triggered
  • USB drive inserted and the status is "Ready" as shown in the Arlo Phone App for the Base Station.

It will not record video continuously.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Jim006 wrote:

It will not record video continuously.

Correct.

apple14
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you very much for your info. Yes, in my situation all these requirements were met, but the Hub still didn't record. I think my unit is a lemon.

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation