have no local recordings

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
TeresaFitz
Tutor
Tutor

Since I have updated the Arlo Secure app on my Android phone, I have not been able to view local recordings.  I believe the Arlo 4 system is not recording locally as well.  I have checked the firmware of my Smart Hub VMB 4540 and it has the latest firmware installed.  I initially purchased the Arlo 4 system based on the fact that you do NOT have to have a subscription to use the security cameras and the recordings would be recorded locally.  I have tried rebooting the Smart Hub, logging out and in again with the app, disabling the port forwarding and re-enabling again, disabled the direct storage access and re-enabling it and nothing works!   Of course, it has been over 90 days, so I do not have support and the hardware warranty has expired.  Can I go back to an older version of the app?  Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should try to fix this issue?  I would greatly appreciate it!

11 REPLIES 11
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TeresaFitz wrote:

Since I have updated the Arlo Secure app on my Android phone, I have not been able to view local recordings. 

Are you saying you now see "Feed" and "Dashboard" in the UI?

If so, the recordings are NOT shown in the feed.  Instead you go into the devices page, and select the base.  Then select storage settings.   Any local recordings should show up there.

If you have already looked there, then I suggest that you first double-check the rules in the modes you are using, and make sure the cameras are set to record.  Also, try ejecting the USB storage from the app, and connecting to a PC, and look for recordings. 

If the PC wants to "repair" the USB drive, then let it do so.  Then put it back into the base, and see if recording resumes.  

One thing you could also try is removing the cameras and base from the account, and then doing the hardware reset procedure on them.  First reset the base with a paper clip and then add it back.  After that,  reset the cameras by removing them from the housing and pressing the sync button until the LED on the camera flashes amber (about 15 seconds).   Then add the cameras back.

Edinburgh_lad1
Prodigy
Prodigy

I'm rather concerned to see so many posts where users show dissatisfaction with the new User Experience.

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

@Edinburgh_lad1 this user is still on UX3 they are not on the new UX. 

provider777
Aspirant
Aspirant

The Local recording fails often and it is not reliable.  the software or app is antiquated and not user friendly.  the reliability is very poor.  I might never get a recording when i need it because the USB flash drive seems to keep getting disconnected.  viewing cameras on the Android phone is so slow and each window you open closes the camera so i cannot see the video fast enough and often cannot connect.  Xfinity has checked the internet to be fast enough.  it seems like Arlo has old software and mabe technicians or engineers that are not using new methods that the average person can use easily.

thanks,

TeresaFitz
Tutor
Tutor

I don't understand what you mean by "UX3" and not using new "UX".  What are you referring to?  platform of Android?  Can anyone from Arlo respond to my issue and explain what I should do instead of a one line comment.

TeresaFitz
Tutor
Tutor

I would like to respond to Stephen B:

Sorry for my delayed response.  I do not live close to the cameras to try the steps you indicated in your reply.  I am not sure what you mean by "UI".  Both my Android phone and by PC, I see "Devices", "Library", and "Mode".  I do not see "Feed".

I have checked the the mode for the "rules" for each of cameras.  All are set to record.  I have also checked my USB storage on my PC, and there are no recordings.  

I have "rebooted" my Internet router, and have turned off and on again on the base, and nothing seems to work.  I have tried different USB flash drives as well.  I am reluctant to remove cameras and SmartHub from account in fear that I will not be able to view the cameras "live" if I need.  Also, I can not physically remove the cameras from their housing to re-sync.  I would need assistance that I currently do not have.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TeresaFitz wrote:

I don't understand what you mean by "UX3" and not using new "UX". 

"UX" is short for User Experience.  UI is short for "User Interface", which amounts to the same thing.

"UX3" is the original user interface - which shows "Library" as a menu option on the app screen.  @BrookeN is telling @Edinburgh_lad1 that you have this older user interface.  "UX4" is a newer one - it shows "Feed" and "Dashboard", not "Library".  It is slowing being rolled out by Arlo.  UX4 still has a lot of issues - when those are resolved, Arlo will migrate everytone to it.   

There is no need for you to migrate to UX4 now, I'm just explaining the terms that are confusing you.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TeresaFitz wrote:

I do not live close to the cameras to try the steps you indicated in your reply. 

I think you'll need to go on-site to resolve this.  When you do that, you'll likely end up needing to remove all the devices from the account, do hardware resets on both the cameras and the smarthub, and set everything up again as if it were a new install.

GeorgeDangle
Aspirant
Aspirant

I upgraded to this latest UX4 User experience and I suggest to everyone not to do what I did as it’s horrible. Basically if you do not have a subscription, you’re treated now like a second class customer…. they do not like it when you don’t have a subscription, which is why they’ve buried the local recordings and took them away from a “library” type page. They belong on the current “feed” page. You should be able to see all your cameras and doorbells on the feed page. Also, I have not been able to get my new Arlo doorbell 2 to record to my local storage, which I believe it doesn’t support now which is no longer surprising at this point. I regret having spent all this money every day I have the system. Netgear used to be good. 

BrookeN
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Here is some useful articles for local storage. Please keep in mind that the device has to be on the SmartHub VMB5000 or VMB4540.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062997

https://www.arlo.com/en_be/support/faq/installation-and-device-performance/local-storage#

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@TeresaFitz wrote:

Since I have updated the Arlo Secure app on my Android phone, I have not been able to view local recordings.  

If you now see "Feed" and "Dashboard" instead of "Library", then you might not be looking in the right place.  The local recordings do not show up in "Feed".  Instead you need to 

1. go to the devices screen
  2. select the base station
  3. select "Storage Settings"
Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation