Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Why do Arlo base stations require constant ARM ALL DEVICES to get out of offline?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Kjani
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have to periodically, throughout the night, wake up and using the ARLO APP, click on ARM ALL DEVICES to “wake up” the Arlo Base Stations and get them back to ONLINE again!  It’s as if they “go to sleep”.  It would be nice if the base station would do a ping or something itself to get itself back online.  It happens when I use EITHER satellite internet connections (I have two) on my phone with the app and it happens even if I use my cellular internet connection on my phone with app - it’s like I have to re- ARM to wake up the base stations- do I need to buy some sort of a RECONNECT device ?

6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's not normal. Are you using the schedule? It would be interesting to know if the base (or router?) was somehow going offline. However, does the system use a satellite ISP? 

Kjani
Aspirant
Aspirant

I don’t use the schedule - I’d like them to run 24 x 7 and I control if I need to disarm one of more bases - sometimes all of them depending on the work I’m doing outside.  Sometimes out of the 5 bases I’ll just have 1 or 2 go offline.  Yes it is satellite internet -  but every time I check - the internet is fine and up - I can test using my phone.  The fact that I can almost immediately have them go ACTIVE - kinda makes it seem like it’s not the internet.  Does the satellite internet occasionally dip or go out and back on - possibly, but it certainly doesn’t need  reboot and the arlos should pick up back on - I’m ordering a connect sense router rebooter - not for the routers but to test on one of the base stations - the device send out a ping - I’m gonna see if that keep the Arlo awake and active.  All it takes to wake these base stations up is merely the button ARM ALL DEVICES whether it’s one or more base stations offline and then they all sync up and line up ACTIVE

Kjani
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have an idea…. After working outside - cameras on… I came in after several hours and all base stations were offline (looked like it happened an hour before I came in (via timeline on the video captures of me).  So I tried rebooting one base station and waited for it to come back up - then gave it another couple minutes nothing changed - then I simply switched on my iPhone from one Wi-Fi to another - and viola it all is back online without me having to arm all devices!  AND FURTHERMORE suddenly an additional hours worth of video is available (the missing hour that it was offline) - MEANING THE CAMERAS WERE WORKING ANYWAY. - but it’s the IPHONE APP and base stations that seem to need resyncing back up and viola everything’s now there - what is timing out?  Is it merely the APP?  Keep in mind I have 5 base stations and 20 cameras - 

Kjani
Aspirant
Aspirant

It happened again - late in the evening.  This time I did not change internet Wi-Fi on my iPhone - and I did not make all devices ACTIVE.  Instead, I merely LOGGED off or out of the APP  and then logged back in.  Once again this ‘fixed’ it.  Everything now shows as ACTIVE - and once again, a bunch of videos that weren’t there (when I discovered the base stations weee OFFLINE), suddenly downloaded and appeared.  This seems to be an issue with the APP?  No sooner had I posted this and they were all back OFFLINE again… so I once again, logged off and then signed back in - and all are back ACTIVE again.  What gives? 

i have now uninstalled (deleted) the APP and reinstalled the APP.  Let’s see if that makes any difference…

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Not sure but I think it's the satellite ISP that's the issue, saving bandwidth if the connection is more or less continuously used. You'd have to check with them to see if that's true and how to work around it.

Kjani
Aspirant
Aspirant

The best way around this for me - has to do with my iPhone- I stopped letting it go to standby as phones do.  I simply have it on all the time WITH the Arlo app open on MODE all the time - it stays ARMED almost all the time, with only a rare occasional OFFLINE when the satellite does ‘do something’ it only lasts about 30 seconds and everything becomes active again- we’re talking like maybe twice in a 20 hr period.  WAY BETTER than it was - it seems to be a stale service or short timeout issue

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation