Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

What’s the difference between using wi or buying a hub?

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
LightningLori
Aspirant
Aspirant

I’m looking at buying 3-Pro 4 and 2-essential spotlight due to end of life issues. The old hub and app would only support 5. Suggestions?  I don’t care about their plan as I use them for only me to view my property. 

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LightningLori wrote:

I’m looking at buying 3-Pro 4 and 2-essential spotlight due to end of life issues.  I don’t care about their plan as I use them for only me to view my property. 

Just to clarify this.  Currently you get 7 days  of cloud storage.  You won't get that with the new cameras.  You'll be able to livestream them, but there will be no way to see recordings.

Also, your current cameras will continue to function after the EoL date, and will get security updates for a year after their EoL date.  So you could start by adding fewer cameras, and continue to use your current ones for the time being.

@LightningLori wrote:

The old hub and app would only support 5. 

Actually they support more.  But you lose the 7-day cloud storage if you have more than 5 unsubscribed cameras in the account.  Also, the hub can only stream 5 cameras at a time (but more can be connected).

@LightningLori wrote:

What’s the difference between using wifi or buying a hub?

The main difference is that you can add local storage if you have a VMB4xxx or VMB5000 base/smarthub.

LightningLori
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks so much for the reply.  Would you suggest using wifi or my current VMB4xxx hub?  The reason I ask, is that I have a Ring camera and it always disconnects from the wifi on the outside of my house due to a poor signal.  I purchased a wifi extender but still have the issue.  My current Arlo seems to work better (the oldest one).

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@LightningLori wrote:

Would you suggest using wifi or my current VMB4xxx hub?  

I suggest starting with the hub.  If you don't get good signal with it, you can always switch over the Pro 4 and Essentials to wifi.

I do recommend keeping your current cameras in your account, until you are sure that the new cameras are working properly.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation