VMB4500 usb storage fails to initialize

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ogxm
Aspirant
Aspirant
The specs on the type of flash storage are generic enough. I have tried a typical USB flash and a mini SD card on a USB adapter and both failed to initialize.
What type of device is expected on this model?

My VMB5000 worked as advertised as soon as I type connected the mini SD card.

Accepted Solutions
dcfox1
Master
Master

Have you tried  formatting the USB drive in the settings, it needs to be 16GB or greater.  I doubt a SD card adapter would work. I use a 32GB Thumb Drive. Just to make sure you are not trying to view the 4500 recordings in the App since they won't be there. 

How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo base station?

View solution in original post

All Replies
dcfox1
Master
Master

Have you tried  formatting the USB drive in the settings, it needs to be 16GB or greater.  I doubt a SD card adapter would work. I use a 32GB Thumb Drive. Just to make sure you are not trying to view the 4500 recordings in the App since they won't be there. 

How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo base station?

View solution in original post

ogxm
Aspirant
Aspirant

dcfox1, I'm beginning to suspect the adapter as well, even though the HUB sees that it has a device on its USB port. It just fails to work well with it.

I did make sure it is FAT32 and is only 256GB in size, so well within the 2TB limit.

Also, I did try a USB thumb drive in my very first attempt and it too failed to work with it.

The app or web front-end produces NO logs/info/errors that I can use to guide my understanding of where the issue is. 

Their integration is not as robust as one could wish for.

Model: VMB4500 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station
ogxm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Indeed.  Swapped for a regular, boring USB flash thumbdrive and the hub loved it. Go figure.

Seems like the Hub's software is qualifying its valid device to match exactly a thumb drive, not any storage device with FAT32 for file system.

Thanks to all who replied.

Model: VMB4500 | Arlo Pro/Pro2 Base Station
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation