Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
ogxm
Aspirant
Aspirant
The specs on the type of flash storage are generic enough. I have tried a typical USB flash and a mini SD card on a USB adapter and both failed to initialize.
What type of device is expected on this model?

My VMB5000 worked as advertised as soon as I type connected the mini SD card.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dcfox1
Master
Master

Have you tried  formatting the USB drive in the settings, it needs to be 16GB or greater.  I doubt a SD card adapter would work. I use a 32GB Thumb Drive. Just to make sure you are not trying to view the 4500 recordings in the App since they won't be there. 

How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo base station?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
dcfox1
Master
Master

Have you tried  formatting the USB drive in the settings, it needs to be 16GB or greater.  I doubt a SD card adapter would work. I use a 32GB Thumb Drive. Just to make sure you are not trying to view the 4500 recordings in the App since they won't be there. 

How do I set up local storage backups on a USB device using my Arlo base station?

ogxm
Aspirant
Aspirant

dcfox1, I'm beginning to suspect the adapter as well, even though the HUB sees that it has a device on its USB port. It just fails to work well with it.

I did make sure it is FAT32 and is only 256GB in size, so well within the 2TB limit.

Also, I did try a USB thumb drive in my very first attempt and it too failed to work with it.

The app or web front-end produces NO logs/info/errors that I can use to guide my understanding of where the issue is. 

Their integration is not as robust as one could wish for.

ogxm
Aspirant
Aspirant

Indeed.  Swapped for a regular, boring USB flash thumbdrive and the hub loved it. Go figure.

Seems like the Hub's software is qualifying its valid device to match exactly a thumb drive, not any storage device with FAT32 for file system.

Thanks to all who replied.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation