Understanding range for Pro 4

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Visladog13
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a set of Pro 4 cameras and cannot mount them outside as the WIFI seems to not be strong enough? I installed an access point outside within 30ft of where I have the camera mounted. The WIFI is full bars on my phone, but the camera has zero bars?
I am pretty dumb to networking so I apologize for poor terminology.
any suggestions or help is appreciated..

I guess I was under the impression that as long as the base station was connected to the same WIFI network that if the WIFI is accessible the cameras would connect? 
please help….

thanks - Josh 

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Visladog13 wrote:

I guess I was under the impression that as long as the base station was connected to the same WIFI network that if the WIFI is accessible the cameras would connect? 

The base station creates its own closed wifi network, and the cameras are connecting to that.   The base wifi coverage is similar to a normal router's - but won't match the coverage of a wifi mesh.

Assuming you have a normal router - is the base connected directly to it?  Or are you placing the base somewhere else in the house?

Visladog13
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for confirming. I should have researched a bit better before purchasing..

I am trying to use these outdoors around a chicken coop to track the predators that frequent my flock.

Too bad they don’t make an outdoor base station.. I’ll probably look at making an enclosure for the base station so I can keep it outside of the steel building where the my WIFI access point is located. 
Is there a better option out there??

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Visladog13 wrote:

Is there a better option out there??

If you are willing to pay for a subscription, you can connect the Pro 4 directly to your home wifi network instead of the smarthub.

Then you'd invest in an outdoor wifi system that can reach the cameras.

Visladog13
Aspirant
Aspirant

What level subscription do I need to allow the Pro 4 to connect the my WIFI directly.

I already installed an outdoor access point thinking that is what the cameras needed? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Visladog13 wrote:

What level subscription do I need to allow the Pro 4 to connect the my WIFI directly. 

Arlo Secure.  If you are outside the US and want 2K recording you likely would need Secure Plus.

You could just get a single-camera subscription for the camera that is too far away from the smarthub.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation