Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Protection from a psychopath

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
bfxn
Aspirant
Aspirant
Unfortunately, we have a problem with a soon to be ex family member. We own a home with several outbuildings on an 8 acre piece of property. I have Arlo cameras on the house but I’m looking into putting more cameras on the out buildings and fields. I have an outdoor WiFi extender approx 250 feet from the house that throws WiFi out into the fields. The further out I go I assume I’m dropping into the 2.4 ghz channels.
My question is would a second base station placed out in the outbuildings extend my range further, and if so which base station has the greatest range? Also which Arlo cameras work on the 2.4 ghz bandwidth ?
I’ve read somewhere that the app limits you to 10 cameras, I need 16 to cover everything. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. One property of ours burned down last week, trying to protect this historic property from harm.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bfxn wrote:
I’ve read somewhere that the app limits you to 10 cameras, 

Not the case.

@bfxn wrote:
 Also which Arlo cameras work on the 2.4 ghz bandwidth ?

All of them (most do not work on 5 gHz).

There is also the Arlo Go 2, which can run on mobile data (requiring a SIM card).

@bfxn wrote:
which base station has the greatest range? 

They all have about the same range (power is limited by government reguiations).

@bfxn wrote:
 I have an outdoor WiFi extender approx 250 feet from the house that throws WiFi out into the fields. 

Pro 4 cameras wouldn't require a base, as they can connect directly to the wifi extender.

The Go 2 can connect either with cellular or wifi, so that might be appropriate for some locations.  Based on posts here, battery life could be an issue for those cameras though.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bfxn wrote:
I’ve read somewhere that the app limits you to 10 cameras, 

Not the case.

@bfxn wrote:
 Also which Arlo cameras work on the 2.4 ghz bandwidth ?

All of them (most do not work on 5 gHz).

There is also the Arlo Go 2, which can run on mobile data (requiring a SIM card).

@bfxn wrote:
which base station has the greatest range? 

They all have about the same range (power is limited by government reguiations).

@bfxn wrote:
 I have an outdoor WiFi extender approx 250 feet from the house that throws WiFi out into the fields. 

Pro 4 cameras wouldn't require a base, as they can connect directly to the wifi extender.

The Go 2 can connect either with cellular or wifi, so that might be appropriate for some locations.  Based on posts here, battery life could be an issue for those cameras though.

bfxn
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you Stephen. With everything happening (and at my age, I have crossed what I call the “tech threshold”) pulling it all together has been difficult. It sounds like I need a slew of Pro4’s and perhaps two Go2’s.
bfxn
Aspirant
Aspirant
I walked the property watching my WiFi signal (I have an Orbi modem/router connected to an Orbi outside range extender). I can pick up a signal out at the most distant point where I need a camera to cover the back farm gate entrances. I’ll pick up some Arlo Pro4’s to see how they handle the distance.
I’ve learned from this experience that having a camera on where your internet providers cable attaches to your house is essential. Snip the cable and all of your cameras (short of the Go2) are are disabled.
Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation