Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro4 - Your Arlo device appears offline

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
mikeba
Tutor
Tutor
I recently purchased two Pro4 cameras which I have connected direct to my WiFi. Wifi signal is good, using 2.4ghz, and fast fibre connection so no real issues with speed fluctuations. I am constantly losing connection on one or both cameras which is very frustrating and requires me to physically reset cameras and reconnect to the network. Is anyone else experiencing similar problems and have a solution?
8 REPLIES 8
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Signal strength/quality between the router and cameras is the likely cause. House construction, objects on/in walls the signal passes through, 2.4GHz interference from other wireless devices, etc. all gets in there. Bring a camera closer to the router to see if the issue improves. If so, repositioning cameras may help and/or use of WiFi extenders to get a better signal to each camera may be needed.

mikeba
Tutor
Tutor
Yes I would normally consider this as a possible cause but both cameras are currently operating inside the house and within a few meters of the router so shouldn't be any issue with signal strength. I also have other devices connected to same WiFi signal and don't have any issues with disconnects on them.
I would expect with the Pro4 cameras that even if there is a temporary outage in the WiFi signal that they should then try to reconnect. Instead they seem to completely lose the Network connection settings and I have to reconfigure them again to get them working.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

WHat about other wireless devices that use the 2.4GHz band? These can be WiFi or not. If you move a camera to a different location/room does the problem go away?

Ddthuang
Tutor
Tutor

What does your signal strength say when you go into the camera positioning page in Arlo app? Does it appear to be strong? Secondly check your router settings and see if you can assign static IP to your cameras. It helped in my situation and my cameras rarely go offline now.

mikeba
Tutor
Tutor
Signal strength is strong. I even tried connecting one of the cameras to a completely different wifi network at another location and still had problems with the camera losing the network connection.
What I find most frustrating is that even if there is a temporary WiFi outage I would expect the camera to retain the settings and try to reconnect when the WiFi is available again. Instead they lose all the Network connection settings and I have to physically reconnect them by going through the standard setup process as if they were a new camera
wingleader
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have been puzzeling my head over loosing connection to my Pro 4s through my mesh network. I am using a Fritzbox mesh (three repeater and one router) on g/n 2.4GHz. Whenever I the mesh restarted (repeater and/or any of the repeater) i over and over lost connection to the cams (sometimes one or the other, sometimes all). My router would report them connected and issue a fixed IP via DHCP. I couldn't figure what the issue is or may be, but made an interesting observation:

Just now I restarted the router, which was set to use auto channel (it chose CH1). Upon setting a fixed channel (I set CH13 as it appears low congested) all the cams came immediately back online ... I will keep an eye on it as I still dont trust the Arlo's connection stability from what I went through the past week. But maybe that helps your issues as well. 

mikeba
Tutor
Tutor
Thanks wingleader. Will have a look at my channel setup. Also using a Fritzbox
Ddthuang
Tutor
Tutor

This is such a cool discovery. Maybe channel conflict is the cause to many connection problems. Thanks for your input @wingleader 

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation