Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 4 spotlight question

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
kurtataltos
Guide
Guide

Arlo Pro 4 camera spotlight:  can the system be set up to, when motion is detected, turn on the spotlight 24 hours a day regardless of daylight?  Yes, I know battery life will be less but that is not the question.   When motion is detected I want the spotlight to turn on regardless of ambient light.    If there is no way to set the system up to do that, then does anyone know where on the face of the camera is the component that detects light as I would simply put a piece of black tape over that area.

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@kurtataltos wrote:

Arlo Pro 4 camera spotlight:  can the system be set up to, when motion is detected, turn on the spotlight 24 hours a day regardless of daylight?

No, there is not.

@kurtataltos wrote:

does anyone know where on the face of the camera is the component that detects light as I would simply put a piece of black tape over that area.

I'm not 100% certain of this, but I believe the "component that detects light" is actually the camera imager, so you can't cover it.

kurtataltos
Guide
Guide

Thank you, StevenB.   It's obvious the Arlo folks have never owned a security entity or actually tried to prevent incidents from happening.  Unfortunate.  The primary objective is NOT to record an incident.  Rather, it is to deter the incident from ever starting.   These guys need to understand forest and trees.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

FWIW, the Pro 3 floodlight does let you set the sensitivity of the dawn-to-dusk sensor.  I'm not sure if the range would ensure that the floodlight turns on in the daytime or not.

@kurtataltos wrote:

The primary objective is NOT to record an incident.  Rather, it is to deter the incident from ever starting.  

Not sure that the spotlight is bright enough in daylight to actually accomplish that objective.  My recollection is that it is 400 lumens - direct sun is about 120,000 lumens.

You could enable the siren in the camera during the day.  It's not that loud, but I think anyone in range of the motion sensor will be able to hear it.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I believe the spotlights in the various cameras (not the Pro 3 floodlight) are only 100 lumens. The security lights (no camera) are 400 lumens and the floodlight is 2000 or 3000 lumens, depending on whether AC power is applied.

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation