Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 4 XL from Costco - Smart Hub questions

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
lgbalfa
Tutor
Tutor

I recently purchase the Pro 4 XL with Smart Hub from Costco.

https://www.costco.com/arlo-pro-4-xl-spotlight-3-camera-security-bundle.product.100778621.html

Had a few questions regarding the Smart Hub.

Can you record directly on to the Smart Hub without signing up for a subscription?

I would rather not have to pay the $10 / month fee if I don't have to.

If so, that would probably be the biggest benefit of using a Smart Hub right?

I think by using the Smart Hub you get better range and better battery life?  Is this significant better for both?

I think most people who have the Pro 4 prefer not to use a Smart Hub right?  If so, how come?

Just trying to decide if I should use it or not.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lgbalfa wrote:

Can you record directly on to the Smart Hub without signing up for a subscription?

You can - details are here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

There are some drawbacks:

• Recordings can only be directly accessed in the app - not in the PC browser.  You need to remove the storage device and insert it in the PC to see the recordings there.
  • You cannot make manual recordings or snapshots
  • The library is only accessible to the primary account (and if you have multiple people in the household using the system from their phones, you need secondary accounts with friend access).
  • There are no thumbnails, so you need to download and play the video on your phone to see anything.
  • Access to the library when away from home can be a bit tricky to set up.

BTW, a subscription also gives you cloud activity zones and the smart classifications of alerts, so if you need/want either you will need a subscription.

I suggest that you pay attention during the trial to what features you actually need, and then decide whether you should drop the subscription or not.

@lgbalfa wrote:

I think by using the Smart Hub you get better range and better battery life?  

Not necessarily.  If you have a mesh router setup for your home wifi, it likely will reach further than a single base station can reach (giving you more range).  On the other hand, if you have a single router setup, the base will likely give both better range and better battery life.

@lgbalfa wrote:

There are other benefits

• Homekit integration requires a base.
  • Controlling multiple cameras can be easier if you have a base.  For instance, with a base you can set up a custom mode that disarms all your indoor cameras but leaves your outdoor cameras armed (useful when you are home).  You can then shift into and out of the mode very easily.  W/o a base, you need to control the indoor cameras individually. 

@lgbalfa wrote:

I think most people who have the Pro 4 prefer not to use a Smart Hub right?  If so, how come?

I think the main drawback to using hubs is that they add to the system price.  Another is that you need a good place to put them.

Since you've already purchased it,  I think you should start by using it.  Note this is not all-or-nothing - you can put some cameras on the base, and connect some directly to your home wifi. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lgbalfa wrote:

You can - details are here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

There are some drawbacks:

• Recordings can only be directly accessed in the app - not in the PC browser.  You need to remove the storage device and insert it in the PC to see the recordings there.
  • You cannot make manual recordings or snapshots
  • The library is only accessible to the primary account (and if you have multiple people in the household using the system from their phones, you need secondary accounts with friend access).
  • There are no thumbnails, so you need to download and play the video on your phone to see anything.
  • Access to the library when away from home can be a bit tricky to set up.

BTW, a subscription also gives you cloud activity zones and the smart classifications of alerts, so if you need/want either you will need a subscription.

I suggest that you pay attention during the trial to what features you actually need, and then decide whether you should drop the subscription or not.

@lgbalfa wrote:

I think by using the Smart Hub you get better range and better battery life?  

Not necessarily.  If you have a mesh router setup for your home wifi, it likely will reach further than a single base station can reach (giving you more range).  On the other hand, if you have a single router setup, the base will likely give both better range and better battery life.

@lgbalfa wrote:

There are other benefits

• Homekit integration requires a base.
  • Controlling multiple cameras can be easier if you have a base.  For instance, with a base you can set up a custom mode that disarms all your indoor cameras but leaves your outdoor cameras armed (useful when you are home).  You can then shift into and out of the mode very easily.  W/o a base, you need to control the indoor cameras individually. 

@lgbalfa wrote:

I think the main drawback to using hubs is that they add to the system price.  Another is that you need a good place to put them.

Since you've already purchased it,  I think you should start by using it.  Note this is not all-or-nothing - you can put some cameras on the base, and connect some directly to your home wifi. 

lgbalfa
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for the response.

What is the largest size micro SD card I can use?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@lgbalfa wrote:

What is the largest size micro SD card I can use?

Check your base model number.  I believe it should be a VMB4540 smarthub, which uses a USB drive and not a microSD card.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation