Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 4 (WiFi) Cameras use 5 Ghz

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Tech_Wizard
Follower
Follower

Will the Arlo Pro 4 cameras using WiFI give me better distance between base unit and cameras? Will (6) Pro 4 cameras saturate my WiFi if there were all trying to record?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tech_Wizard wrote:

No, they only use 2.4 gHz

@Tech_Wizard wrote:

Will the Arlo Pro 4 cameras using WiFI give me better distance between base unit and cameras? 

Hard to say - it depends on the router.  If you have a mesh network, then it can improve the range.  But if not, it usually won't make much difference.

@Tech_Wizard wrote:

Will (6) Pro 4 cameras saturate my WiFi if there were all trying to record?

Arlo says 2 Mbps per camera  - and in practice I think this is conservative (they use somewhat less).  https://kb.arlo.com/000062043/What-are-the-minimum-requirements-for-installing-and-using-my-Arlo-sys...

So 6 cameras recording simultaneously would need 12 Mbps.   This normally isn't a problem for WiFi (unless your cameras are very far from the router).  But it might exceed your internet upload bandwidth.  

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Tech_Wizard wrote:

No, they only use 2.4 gHz

@Tech_Wizard wrote:

Will the Arlo Pro 4 cameras using WiFI give me better distance between base unit and cameras? 

Hard to say - it depends on the router.  If you have a mesh network, then it can improve the range.  But if not, it usually won't make much difference.

@Tech_Wizard wrote:

Will (6) Pro 4 cameras saturate my WiFi if there were all trying to record?

Arlo says 2 Mbps per camera  - and in practice I think this is conservative (they use somewhat less).  https://kb.arlo.com/000062043/What-are-the-minimum-requirements-for-installing-and-using-my-Arlo-sys...

So 6 cameras recording simultaneously would need 12 Mbps.   This normally isn't a problem for WiFi (unless your cameras are very far from the router).  But it might exceed your internet upload bandwidth.  

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation