Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 4 No motion detection from a camera that is already recording

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
daylite
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have a two Pro 4 cams on my driveway, one at the lower end and one further up.  I use IFTTT and the cams activate scenes from Smart Life when they detect motion.  The lower and upper cams activate different actions.  With IFTTT I can make the lower cam start the upper cam recording when the lower cam detects motion (and starts itself recording).  

But once the upper cam is recording, it seems it does not detect motion.  So I can't turn it on to record, and then have it send the 'motion detected' signal when something show up moving in its field of view.

I suppose this may be impossible, but I'm asking here in case someone has a solution.  How can I get a 'motion detected signal' from a camera that is already recording?   Thanks for considering!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @daylite

Thanks for the detailed info. This is currently a limitation with IFTTT; the cameras can't send a notification when it's already streaming.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
daylite
Aspirant
Aspirant

Added information:  The behavior I described above is what I see when IFTTT is used to activate the other camera.  In IFTTT an applet is triggered when the lower driveway cam detects motion, and the applet then starts the lower driveway cam recording.  Starting the recording does not result in a 'motion detected' signal.  The recording is labeled 'IFTTT' by Arlo, not as 'person', 'motion', etc.

Since posting I tried using Arlo to start the upper camera after the lower camera detects motion.  With that set up, after the lower camera detects motion Arlo then directs the upper driveway camera to 'start recording'.  Unlike IFTTT, when it seems when Arlo does 'start recording' it's the same a detecting motion.   The result is as soon as the lower cam detects motion, it tells the upper cam to record and the upper cam 'detects motion' that's not there yet, and that activates the script of actions for the upper camera.

Summary:  With IFTTT the lower driveway cam can start the upper cam recording, but the upper cam then doesn't see motion and can't activate a script.   With Arlo the lower driveway cam can start the upper cam recording but it starts the upper script at the same time.   I wanted to have all cameras going, but be able to activate scripts only when motion occurred in a specific cams field of view.  Too much to ask, I'm afraid.

daylite
Aspirant
Aspirant

Correction:  "In IFTTT an applet is triggered when the lower driveway cam detects motion, and the applet then starts the lower upper driveway cam recording." 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @daylite

Thanks for the detailed info. This is currently a limitation with IFTTT; the cameras can't send a notification when it's already streaming.

daylite
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for providing a clear and authoritative answer! 

I'll drop that plan for now, and hope the capability might someday become available.   

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

No problem, let me know if you have any other questions : )

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation