Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Pro 4 Intermittent Disconnection

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
DaOtherOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

My VMC4041P-A1C84 | Arlo Pro 4 Wire-Free Camera intermittently disconnects from the server. I have tried all of the suggestions on the board to address these issues.

1) Static DHCP IP@

2) Ensured Wifi signal was strong with minimal interference. The RSSI is -31dBM.

After a significant amount of debugging I believe the problem is related to the  Power Saving Mode (PSM)  in the camera WiFi modem in the camera.  When my ASUS router shows the PSM mode as No  the camera functions correctly. When the PSM mode is Yes, the camera intermittently disconnects from the Arlo Server. This problem seems to be related to the firmware version 1.080.171.1_32_509753c.

I have read all of the documentation and it does not discuss how to disable PSM.  My camera is connected to power 7x24x365 and does not require PSM mode to increase battery life.

1) does anybody know how to disable PSM?

2) does anybody know how I can install an older version of the firmware that doesn't have this issue?

8 REPLIES 8
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI @DaOtherOne

Please reach out to the Support Team to further investigate this issue you are experiencing. You can find several options for contacting support though the Arlo Mobile App by navigating to Settings/System/Support.

Thank you

DaOtherOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have captured the problem.  Please review the attached PDF and let me know how I disable PSM when the camera is not armed.

UPDATE: Even in armed mode the camera occasional enters PSM mode.  When this happens the camera disconnects and reconnects.  When it reconnects PSM mode is off.

How do I disable PSM completely?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

We can't control this sort of thing since the system is closed. Hopefully your report can be used by the engineers to update future firmware.

DaOtherOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

After further analysis it appears that the disconnect from the server is independent of the PSM issue. The camera is disconnecting from the server approximately every 30 to 35 minutes.

Attached is the updated network monitoring reports.

Arlo Engineering needs to investigate both issues.

DaOtherOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

Per your recommendation I attempted to use the "Support" feature.

The Arlo virtual assistant feature is probably one of the worst implementations I have used.

My problem was not solved by the virtual assistant.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

You should have the option to open a case once your issue is not resolved within the app/support chat. 

DaOtherOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

The disconnect (TCP Connection Reset) is originating at the Arlo Server.

See attached Wireshark trace that showing the disconnect and reconnect sequence.

Camera Disconnect.png
DaOtherOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

I logged the network traffic for 3 hours.  The Wireshark trace clearly shows repetitive disconnects being sent from the Arlo server.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation