Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Possible fix for no Push Notifications

Discussion stats
Stubert
Aspirant
Aspirant

This might be a complete fluke but this morning i removed my 'Friend' from the 'Grant Access' section of the App (I'm using an iPhone). As soon as I did this I started receiving push notifications from the cameras again.

All cameras in the set up are now responding as I would like. The downside to this, is that only one phone/ handset is able to get the notifications. If I'm away, and partner at home then they have no idea if one of that cameras is triggered.

44 REPLIES 44
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Stubert,

Reports of the issue are currently being investigated by the dev team. I will provide an update as soon as I have more information.

JamesC

mcd1957
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm also having this exact problem, except on Android devices. (Galaxy S20/21) Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

mcd1957
Aspirant
Aspirant

I haven't really found a fix for this exactly, but after troubleshooting it all day, I've narrowed down the exact circumstances of the problem. Maybe this will help... somehow.

So, I've got two accounts on two devices. The Main Account gets push notifications on either device, AS LONG AS the Friend Account is logged OFF. As soon as the Friend Account logs on on the second device, ALL push notifications, to BOTH accounts/devices, stop. If the Friend Account is logged on, and the Main Account is logged off, the Friend Account still gets nothing.

All the settings, permissions, etc are the same on both accounts/devices. So there's definitely something up with the existence of the Friend Account, but for the life of me I can't think of anything else to try. I've done all the uninstall/reinstall stuff. Haven't done a total factory reset yet, because it's working fine with just one account. I'll probably try that in the next day or two if I don't hear anything new, but I honestly doubt it would work. 

If anyone has any other ideas, I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

Stubert
Aspirant
Aspirant

As a work around, rather than adding a 'Friend' via the 'Grant Access' menu,  I have added secondary users to receive email notifications by editing the 'Mode' settings under each camera.

Whilst this isn't ideal, getting an email notifying all users of movement is better than only the primary user getting Push notifications.

obsanchez
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 2 cameras. Unchecked the grant access to one of them to test it out, and immediately started getting notifications again for that camera.

Lukas1988
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi. I gave access to my friends and only I get notifications if there is a global problem ?

obsanchez
Aspirant
Aspirant

UPDATE: Previously mentioned unchecking the grant access boxes fixed the notifications issue.. and it did, for a little while at least.. Now its not working again, plus one of my cameras now not detecting motion.

Never ending story with Arlo. Would 100% return them back if I could.

ABeau
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have similar problem. Access right granted to friends account but only I get push notifications - this feels like a major flaw as should be able to set this for all users in the home surely!
asignoro
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes.  Experiencing similar.  Push notifications are not being received on Shared account after recent update for SSM authentication.   Shared user deleted and reinstalled app, check all settings to allow for push.   Invitations sent for both the Devices and Custom Mode created to Arm them.  All to no avail.  See my account as needed for additional examples and please send an e-mail once this issue is resolved.  Thank you.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

A recent Arlo cloud release (automatic update) should have addressed the push notification issue that many users have been experiencing. Please let us know if you're still experiencing an issue receiving push notifications.

JamesC

danfreel6
Initiate
Initiate

Still do not receive notifications on any devices. 

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

danfreel6,

Consider reinstalling the Arlo mobile app and make sure to allow permission requests on your device. Are you still experiencing the same issue?

JamesC

chr1s99
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, I am only getting notifications on my primary account, my girlfriend is not getting any notifications, Push Notifications are allowed in setting on her phone. But she is still not getting any

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

chr1s99,

Have you reinstalled the app on her phone?

JamesC

minhengwu
Aspirant
Aspirant

same issue, no push notifs for shared accounts. Primary can receive push notif

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

minhengwu,

The app needs to be running, even if it's minimized, on the mobile device to receive notifications. Some mobile devices will automatically close idle apps for battery or data preservation, if this is happening with the Arlo app, this will cause notifications to cease when the app isn't active. Check your mobile device settings and make sure the Arlo mobile app is not being closed when idle.

JamesC

mayapag
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello! I am still having this issue as well, even after trying everything previously recommended to other customers. I am the secondary and am not receiving push notifications, but my boyfriend is the primary user and he is. Only the email notifications and red button icon over the app work, but the push notifications for me do not work. Please advise. Thanks!
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

mayapag,

Check the permissions on your mobile device and make sure the Arlo mobile app has permission to send Push Notifications.

JamesC

TVAP
Aspirant
Aspirant

We are not getting any of the push notifications. We have done all the suggested things like uninstall. Has this issue been resolved? 

Stubert
Aspirant
Aspirant

Nope. I've given up hoping there will be a real fix for this. Arlo is absolutely shocking, but I'm locked in now. Looking forward to switching in the future. Having sunk the best part of £500 into 4 cameras I don't feel i can bin them straight away.

The work around I found was only have one (master) user in the app, remove all guests.

If you want/need multiple users to receive notifications, just add their email addresses in under the 'Edit Mode' section for each camera. They can't watch the cameras live, but they will receive clips to watch over the net and can then act on anything they need to. It's worth noting you can't watch the clips over the web on a computer. They have to be downloaded. But if you click the links on your phone you can watch the clips without downloading first.

Another huge flaw is that the app can only be installed on one phone or tablet. The reason for this is, if you are logged in on the phone and then log in on the tablet, it logs you out of the phone and stops notifications coming in on the phone. This also works in reverse, if you'd rather notifications on the tablet and log in on the phone, it'll stop sending notifications to the tablet!

Just to be sure I don't miss anything if the push notifications go down, I also receive email notifications. It's a ridiculous amount of notifications to receive when all working but it's all I've got till this lot goes in a charity shop.

(Edited, said app instead of tablet)

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

If you're still experiencing this issue, I recommend contacting the Arlo Support team using the Arlo Secure mobile app and opening a ticket. You can find contact information under Settings > Support.

JamesC

Stubert
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks James.

I did have tickets raised and had many conversations over 2 months. Unfortunately for me it was a waste of time. There's only so many times you can be told 'take the camera down, do a factory restart, reconnect it, rehang it and walk around in front of it till you get a notification'.

I'm posting this work around in the hope that others who are expressing similar issues to me can get notifications to multiple users when there are potential security issues outside their properties. I spend a lot of time working away so I had to make sure that notifications were going to everyone else in the house that needed to get them, not just me hundreds of miles away. This is the only way I found to get the system 'working'.

Ton_Hagens
Aspirant
Aspirant

no troubles until this week....
Had my wife granted access as a friend. all functions working for several years. Note: both on android.

This week I added a second and third 'friend' (my daugther and son in law). They are on Iphone.

Now (with unknown logic) the push notifications stop at one or more (even all) of the invitees. 

I am trying to find to logic when it works (maybe only android) and when it stops (maybe in mixed configuration).

Jack_Murphy95
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have recently bought and Set Up the Arlo Essential. I'm receiving push notifications but my partner isn't. Is there a fix for this yet?

Discussion stats