Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Operating the cameras with only a computer

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
crileyma
Follower
Follower

I'm considering getting the Arlo Pro 4 for my mother. She is comfortable working with a computer, but does not have (and does not want) a smartphone.

While I can install the system with the aid of a smart phone (Android), once that's done all subsequent operation must be doable by her strictly via computer and browser. This seems to be possible, based on earlier posts, but many of those posts are several years old and I'd like to get that confirmed.

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@crileyma wrote:

While I can install the system with the aid of a smart phone (Android), once that's done all subsequent operation must be doable by her strictly via computer and browser. This seems to be possible, based on earlier posts, but many of those posts are several years old and I'd like to get that confirmed.

Two-factor authentication comes into play here.  The PC browser is supposed to be trusted for up to two weeks, then 2FA needs to happen again.  In practice, the trust doesn't last as long as that for me, and I end up doing 2FA every couple of days.  So you'd need to authorize her login periodically.  The window to do that is pretty short.

The other factor is video playback for 2K video.  The HEVC codec used isn't supported by Chrome or FireFox.  It will work on a new PC (Intel or AMD CPU at least 6th generation), but you might need to purchase Microsoft's HEVC Windows Extension from the Microsoft store (cost is $.99).  

A tablet might work out better, as it can be trusted forever and doesn't have the playback issues.

One thing I've been wondering - Windows 11 is supposed to be able to run Android apps.  So it is conceivable that a Win11 PC might be able to run the Arlo Android app.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation