Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Offline after power outage

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
wildwoodhorn
Guide
Guide
Had a power outage overnight. Despite power (and internet) being restored, my Pro 4 cameras remained offline.

An Arlo chat representative (and supervisor) confirmed that their camera’s can only be put back online after an outage by physically taking out the batteries from each camera and reconnecting manually. Camera’s DO NOT reconnect on their own (like an iPhone reconnects itself to the wi-fi), nor can they be reconnected via the app.

I understand Google Nest camera’s automatically reconnect.

I have been happy with Arlo up until now, but a home security camera system that requires you to physically be present for a simple reconnect after an outage, defeats the object of having the system at all.

I hope Arlo can fix this with a firmware update, but for now, I’m sending my Arlo camera’s back and switching to Nest.
Best answers
  • JamesC
    Community Manager
    Community Manager

New firmware is now available for Arlo Pro 4 and Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight cameras containing fixes that should help alleviate the issue being discussed here. Please make sure your cameras have automatically updated to the latest firmware and test again to see if the behavior has improved.

JamesC

16 REPLIES 16
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

A UPS on your router and modem (and the Arlo base/hub, if you have one) can prevent this. A benefit is that your Internet access never drops during that outage.

wildwoodhorn
Guide
Guide
Killhippie
Prodigy
Prodigy

On the Pro 4's if the ISP looses its PPP session (like maintenance or an outage) the Pro 4's dont reconnect, you have to pull the battery. These are useless cameras with no real help from Arlo support who freely admit this is a known issue and they will think about it for future products, well thanks Arlo thats great news, I'll just throw mine away shall I? I hope they fix this issue or I may as well put the damn thing in the bin as I cant change batteries from a wheelchair, and I doubt people who have them high up want to climb laddered to fix a ludicrous coding blunder. I mean other brands of Wi-Fi cameras reconnect, hell my blu-ray player reconnects but not a security camera from Arlo! That's truly pathetic.

wildwoodhorn
Guide
Guide
I agree, though if you have limited access, a wired solution may be best.

In terms of internet drop outs, I don’t think these are uncommon anywhere, so yes, it makes the Pro4’s useless, and I would say not fit for purpose.

I’m sending mine back, and will probably try Nest.
wildwoodhorn
Guide
Guide
I’ve noticed that after an internet outage, when reconnecting the camera’s, the battery level has dropped significantly, almost to zero.

This would suggest that during the outage, the camera’s are staying on, or at least trying to communicate with the network.

So in addition to the inconvenience of having to manually reconnect each camera, they also require recharging, which takes several hours per camera.

And this is every time there is an internet/power outage.
Killhippie
Prodigy
Prodigy

While I agree a wired solution would be best,  I only need one camera so I can talk to who is at the door (dont use smart notifications the person will be gone by the time you get those) so that would be a little OTT. Sadly the best Arlo camera I had was an Arlo Go (which died when it hit the ground when my carer took it down for charging ) which sat outside using Vodafone and even though only using infrared it gave great night time imagery and reconnected if Vodafone went down. I wish I had bought another of those, they are great cameras even though they are basic they do what you want and have much better night vision than the new cameras, even though they have no little spotlight and night time colour view. Simple seems best with Arlo unless you spend a fortune on a Ultra 2 and a base station and a 180 field of view would not be needed where mine sits anyway. I'm way past sending mine back and Arlo keep promising things and nothing ever happens as usual, support is not good with this comany.

In my view the Pro 4 is not fit for purpose and they should have a warning on the box that  will need to keep pulling the battery every time the internet goes down. Then again I guess they would not sell so well if people knew the truth that the Pro 4 has a fatal flaw.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

New firmware is now available for Arlo Pro 4 and Arlo Pro 3 Floodlight cameras containing fixes that should help alleviate the issue being discussed here. Please make sure your cameras have automatically updated to the latest firmware and test again to see if the behavior has improved.

JamesC

wildwoodhorn
Guide
Guide
Thank you. I appreciate Arlo responding to customer feedback on this issue. I will test and report if the issue is not resolved.
Joeux
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have Arlo Pro 4. What is the firmware update number? I am currently using 1.080.17_32_5097d3c.

wildwoodhorn
Guide
Guide
1.080.17.1_32_5097d3c
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Joeux wrote:

I have Arlo Pro 4. What is the firmware update number? I am currently using 1.080.17_32_5097d3c.

You might want to bookmark https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/bd-p/arlo-release-notes so you can find this info in the future.

You are running the current firmware (released 21 Dec 2021).

wildwoodhorn
Guide
Guide
Update: having updated to the latest firmware, after a power outage only one of my three Pro4’s reconnects automatically (this takes about 15 minutes). The other two camera’s DO NOT automatically reconnect and have to be connected manually.

How is this possible when all three cameras are the same product all with the same firmware version?
Killhippie
Prodigy
Prodigy

My Pro 4 lost its connection on Thursday evening, I had to get a neighbour to 'fix' my camera by weirdly attaching it to charge which brought it back to life, if definitely did not connect back on its own. Seriously Arlo sort this out or be honest and say your cameras are not designed for being the sole security product at a home due to their limitations.

martin523454
Initiate
Initiate

Will this update also go for the Arlo Essentials?

martin523454
Initiate
Initiate

Will this update also be available for the Arlo Essential?

Killhippie
Prodigy
Prodigy

Honestly is not much more expensive to go hard wired via a local installer and get better cameras without all these bugs and with much better day and nightclarity including night vision without needing a spotlight! Wish I had know before I bought this Arlo rubbish.

Discussion stats
  • 16 Replies
  • 10 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation