Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Local storage w/o cloud storage?

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
HMishkoff
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm about to upgrade from my old Arlo cams to a few Pro 4 cams. It looks like I'm going to want a subscription so I can do cloud storage, but I'm wondering what I'll be missing if I buy a hub and do local storage instead.

* Will I be able to record locally on a disk drive in a PC attached to the same router where my hub will be attached? Or can I record locally only on a USB drive plugged directly into the hub?

* Can I still get email notifications when there's a hit on one of my cameras? And will I then be able to view the video on the Arlo website? Or are those features available only with cloud storage?

* Will the locally-stored videos still show up in my library on the Arlo website? (And can I download selected videos from the library?) Or does the library only display videos that are in cloud storage?

Thank you so much for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Manual recording and snapshot are only available to the cloud.

Camera trigger recording only to the backup storage on compatible Base.

Email notifications and warnings will end.

Only mobile app access to recorded files and requires download to mobile to view.

No thumbnails, no web access to recordings, no sharing with friends.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it-for-Arlo-video-recor... 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
DannyBearAgain
Master
Master

Only mobile app access to recorded files and requires download to mobile to view.

https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it-for-Arlo-video-recor... 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DannyBearAgain wrote:

@HMishkoff - also remote access requires requires router setting changes that some find difficult.  It also is not possible to get remote access with some internet providers - mobile broadband, and landline providers that use carrier-grade NAT (CGNAT).

HMishkoff
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for the replies, incredibly informative and helpful. Looks like cloud storage is the sensible option for me.

Sandymike
Aspirant
Aspirant

I've just been thinking about upgrading my base station to allow direct storage viewing through the app.

Has anyone gotten this to work?

I'm talking about everything local on the same network.

Mike

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Sandymike wrote:

I've just been thinking about upgrading my base station to allow direct storage viewing through the app.

Has anyone gotten this to work?

I'm talking about everything local on the same network.

You'd need either a VMB4540 or a VMB5000- smarthub

Limitations include

• videos only accessible from the app (not the browser).
  • videos only accessible from the primary account (not friend accounts).
  • no ability to make manual recordings or snapshots
  • no thumbnails - all videos must be downloaded to the phone to view
  • remote access requires router setting changes that some find difficult (and can't be done with some internet providers).
Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation