Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

How do I get my Pro 4 to record in 2k?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
bradlymathews
Aspirant
Aspirant

I needed to see if I could read the license plate of a suspicious vehicle. Turns out no way because the downloaded video is only in 1280x720, not 2k.

How do I get 2K video?

I have Video Mode to to Full and Power Management set to Best Video. I have it plugged in full time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bradlymathews wrote:

I'd rather not get out a ladder right now to double check the model, but my hardware model is reported to be VMC4041PAerH3 

That is a Pro 4.

@bradlymathews wrote:

I am using the Detail tab on the File Properties dialog to determine the resolution.

Then you should be seeing 2560x1440.

Have you zoomed in the camera view?  Or use auto zoom and tracking?

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bradlymathews wrote:

I needed to see if I could read the license plate of a suspicious vehicle. Turns out no way because the downloaded video is only in 1280x720, not 2k.

Mine definitely records in 2K.

Can you open the camera , remove the battery, and make sure that the label inside says Pro 4 (and not Pro)?

Are you downloading on your phone, or are you downloading from on a PC (my.arlo.com)?  What are you using to confirm the resolution of the recording?

@bradlymathews wrote:

I needed to see if I could read the license plate of a suspicious vehicle.

FWIW, even 4K might not be enough for that.  Cameras optimized for license plate reading generally have a narrow field of view.  Arlo cameras don't, the field of view is very wide.  As a result, a vehicle has to be pretty close to have a readable plate.

bradlymathews
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I am dubious (but still hopeful) of a license plate capture with 2k at 40 feet.

I'd rather not get out a ladder right now to double check the model, but my hardware model is reported to be VMC4041PAerH3 which my Googling says is a Pro 4...

I am downloading from a Windows PC.

I am using the Detail tab on the File Properties dialog to determine the resolution.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bradlymathews wrote:

I'd rather not get out a ladder right now to double check the model, but my hardware model is reported to be VMC4041PAerH3 

That is a Pro 4.

@bradlymathews wrote:

Then you should be seeing 2560x1440.

Have you zoomed in the camera view?  Or use auto zoom and tracking?

bradlymathews
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am using auto zoom and tracing. I took the hint and turned that off and voila - they are recording in 2k, at least the library thumbnails show a 2K icon on the thumbnails now.

Thanks!

Now, if I could just get the video playback to work in something other than Edge. A battle for another day.

bradlymathews
Aspirant
Aspirant

I tested the license plate reading ability - I can just make it out as far as the end of my driveway. Past the sidewalk, no way, and certainly not in the court without some (probably expensive) forensic enhancement software.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@bradlymathews wrote:

Now, if I could just get the video playback to work in something other than Edge. A battle for another day.

Unfortunately, Edge is the only windows browser that includes support for H.265 compression.  I suspect that won't change.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation