Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
enurweb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello, considering several Arlo cameras around the house.

Wondering if i were to put the Arlo 4 camera a bit high up on the garage wall would the camera then during the night be able to film the courtyard?

I mean, to be able to film in a pretty decent quality. In example identifying potential criminals or vandals (we've had some troubles lately).

Apologizes that I'm putting numbers into meters but I live in Norway 😊

The courtyard is not pitch black during night but the lighting is fairly dimmed.

I reckon the camera would be about 4-5 meters up from the ground. 

I will post pictures from the view the camera will have and also a picture of the fasade of the garage where the camera will be attached.

10 REPLIES 10
enurweb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Aprox view for the camera of the courtyard.

20211120_205730.jpg
enurweb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Garage fasade and the red circle is where i'm thinking to install the Arlo 4 camera.

Inked20211120_205841_LI.jpg
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

The motion sensing range for people is about 7 meters, so I'd suggest putting it lower.  

If lighting is a potential issue, you might consider going with the Pro 3 floodlight - it provides a lot more light than the other models.

enurweb
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you again 🙂
I saw tou answered the question in another thread I had about the Arlo 3 Floodlight.

So, I agree that the Floodlight would be nice to have over the courtyard but there are quite a bit of activity there and also people renting a part of my house on the first floor facing the courtyard.
Meaning it would probably be really annoying for them with the Floodlight going of many times each evening/night.
enurweb
Aspirant
Aspirant
Other opinions out there on what to do or consider?? 🙂
Recommandations on where to place an Arlo 4 maybe.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If the location can be protected from weather and has power available, an indoor camera such as the Essential Indoor Camera may be useful since they use pixel-change detection. This also allows use when viewing through a window but be sure to turn off Night Vision so the glare doesn't blind the video.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Meaning it would probably be really annoying for them with the Floodlight going of many times each evening/night.

As an alt choice,  consider some ground lighting... you can get IR floods for fairly cheap and they are not really visible, and don't wake anyone up.   I run at times 2 floods (  850nm  ) that have daylight sensors ( so they are on at night only ).
They light up a good area, run on a 12v ac supply, and help the camera see much more. Search on line.
( of course it doesn't change the sense distance for cameras )
--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
enurweb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for the "out of the box" thinking on that one 🙂

I don't think sadly that's a valid option for my sake in this spesific case.

Good suggestion though!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@enurweb wrote:

I don't think sadly that's a valid option for my sake in this specific case.

Unfortunate, since it would eliminate any need for the camera(s) to light up at night.

I mentioned this earlier, but personally I would move the camera lower on the garage (maybe just over the garage door).  That would give the PIR sensors more vertical range down the driveway.

Keeping the camera offset (and not in the center of the door) is a good idea - ideally angling it so the vehicles need to cross the field of view, and not drive right down the center of it.

enurweb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Actually guys I believe I will go with the Arlo 3 Floodlight both at the front of the house and at the back.

If i mount the camera on the house wall itself and not the garage then the floodlight will be sent away from the house instead of partly onto the house from the garage.

That takes away the disturbing part for the couple renting the flat downstairs.

Allthough it might get a bit bright for some passing cars 🤣

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation