Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Cannot record video, or take pictures, when 2K live streaming is enabled

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Jim006
Guide
Guide

I moved my Pro 4 cameras from WiFi to a VMB4000 base station so I could use the "Foresight" feature with motion detected video.

One advantage of using a Base Station is that you can enable 2K Live Streaming on your home network.  However, when this feature is enabled, the camera and video record buttons are no longer available for the camera in the Arlo App.  If I disable 2K Live Streaming, the record and camera buttons come back, but then I cannot watch 2K live video on the cameras (only 1080p coming back from the Arlo cloud).

I getting a little fed up with all the secret "rules" on these cameras.  I have a pretty significant investment now in cameras, base station, cables, etc. and that's not including the $10/month subscription fee that I'll have to pay after the 3-month trial is over.

8 REPLIES 8
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jim006,

This is normal behavior. When 2K and 4K(for Arlo Ultra) local streaming is enabled, manual recording and snapshots will not be available. This is a limitation with live streaming. If you want to record and take snapshots, the stream must be 1080p or lower.

JamesC

Badboye
Tutor
Tutor
“Secret Rules” lol you are so right. I always have to google to find out why my stuff don’t work only to find out it’s normal but they don't tell you this till you find out yourself ….after I’ve already invested in it.
dcfox1
Master
Master

@Badboye wrote:
“Secret Rules” lol you are so right. I always have to google to find out why my stuff don’t work only to find out it’s normal but they don't tell you this till you find out yourself ….after I’ve already invested in it.

You should read the FAQ and the manual pinned at the top for of the forum for the details if you haven't to save time from googling. It does even mention this issue though I missed it when I first got my Pro3 system. 

Jim006
Guide
Guide

The User's Guide only mentions this for recording video.  It does not mention any limitations for taking snapshot images.  The FAQ doesn't mention any limitations with respects to live 2k streaming.

I wouldn't expect a limitation of manual recording in 2k just because live 2k streaming is enabled.  Although this could be an artificial limitation to prevent a form of 24/7 CVR (example: start a manual recording and walk away).  If this is the case, I'd much rather see some kind of time limit on the manual record than an outright ban.

None of this would explain why taking a still image is not allowed with 2k live streaming.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@Jim006 wrote:

The User's Guide only mentions this for recording video.  It does not mention any limitations for taking snapshot images.  The FAQ doesn't mention any limitations with respects to live 2k streaming.

Yes it does in the FAQ it is the 3rd link down about 2k Live. It states snapshot also. 

How do I stream in 2K with my Arlo Pro 3 or Pro 4 camera?

Jim006
Guide
Guide

Sorry to be pedantic - but that's not the FAQ, it's a separate article.  Unfortunately google didn't take me there and I doubt I would have found it without your mention of it.

I would definitely like to see the snapshot feature and some limited form of video recording in live 2k streaming.  It's desirable to be able to record or snapshot a camera in 2k while in your house on your own network. 

Honestly, we shouldn't have to choose between "local 2k with no manual capture" and "1080p with manual capture".  The device is obviously capable of 2k capture -- all motion triggered videos are saved to the cloud in 2k resolution.  At the very least, it could be for local storage with a base station if the issue is related to local network vs. going to the cloud.

dcfox1
Master
Master

@Jim006 wrote:

Sorry to be pedantic - but that's not the FAQ, it's a separate article.  Unfortunately google didn't take me there and I doubt I would have found it without your mention of it.

It is a link in the FAQ pinned at the top of this forum, It is not hidden. Don't  know what to tell you. I do agree I am not sure why the snapshot and manual record is like that. 

Badboye
Tutor
Tutor
I wasn't talking about that or anything specific. More on things you find out later AFTER you purchased your ARLO system and usually it's a negative instead of a positive. For example, finding out that my Pro 3 floodlight cam doesn't come with a magnetic plug (yes it's on the box, but what a bummer to purchase something that expensive to not come with it). Outdoor and indoor magnetic plugs work differently. US Territories are not qualified for subscriptions even tho other countries are, and etc.
Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation