Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Can't add new Smarthub on a new work network while my main Arlo account is on home network

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Arrrgh
Initiate
Initiate

I'm trying to install an Arlo Pro4 in my work office, and have plenty of Ethernet jacks to access for both my work PC and for the Smarthub.  Smarthub shows blue LED and using PC on the same work network to use Arlo app on Chrome to add the Smarthub as a new device.  Keeps on searching but never finds the new smarthub on work.  All my other existing Arlo cameras and other smarthub are on home network.  Tried factory-resetting the new smarthub at work and always see blue steady led that should indicate can reach internet, but why can't my Arlo webbrowser app on PC find the new smarthub?  Can't use my phone since that is on an enterprise Wifi that requires a login and password.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

You may need to talk to your network folks to have the allow access to arlo.com on port 80, 123 and 443.

80 and 443 are used for normal web browsing - there might be a proxy in the firewall, but the ports are almost certainly open.  123 is for NTP time sync.  It's possible that is blocked for some reason.

But the fact that the LED on the base is blue suggests that the base is able to reach the cloud.  I am thinking the issue is more about the way the wifi network in the office is set up - if it is not forwarding broadcast packets from the wired network, you could easily see this problem.

If that's what's going on, then the system should work fine once onboarded.  That is why I suggested onboarding at home, and then just connecting everything up in the office.  Since the only network connection needed is ethernet, you shouldn't need to set anything up again in the office.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Arrrgh wrote:

Tried factory-resetting the new smarthub at work and always see blue steady led that should indicate can reach internet, but why can't my Arlo webbrowser app on PC find the new smarthub?  Can't use my phone since that is on an enterprise Wifi that requires a login and password.

Maybe try onboarding everything at home, and then move the smarthub and the camera to the office.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

If your phone's WiFi requires a login, I'd suspect something is also set up for wired devices. Work networks frequently block access to sites for security. You may need to talk to your network folks to have the allow access to arlo.com on port 80, 123 and 443.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@jguerdat wrote:

You may need to talk to your network folks to have the allow access to arlo.com on port 80, 123 and 443.

80 and 443 are used for normal web browsing - there might be a proxy in the firewall, but the ports are almost certainly open.  123 is for NTP time sync.  It's possible that is blocked for some reason.

But the fact that the LED on the base is blue suggests that the base is able to reach the cloud.  I am thinking the issue is more about the way the wifi network in the office is set up - if it is not forwarding broadcast packets from the wired network, you could easily see this problem.

If that's what's going on, then the system should work fine once onboarded.  That is why I suggested onboarding at home, and then just connecting everything up in the office.  Since the only network connection needed is ethernet, you shouldn't need to set anything up again in the office.

Arrrgh
Initiate
Initiate

This worked! Thanks, StephenB!  Still puzzled why using PC connected to the same ethernet switch as the Smarthub at work failed to connect, but once I brought it to my home ethernet, I could sync properly to my account.  Maybe my work network has other security features limiting this initial setup that I don't have on my unmanaged home network? 

Gotta say this Community is way better, more knowledgeable than the phone tech support that seems to just use an offshore phone bank where the phone reps are completely clueless when I tried to call this issue in.  The rep could not even pull up my account and said he couldn't see any of my cameras?!?!  Then he was just reading the script from the Arlo app about reseating the cables, POPO,  factory reset, 3Xblah.  Guess this is where I'll go for Arlo support in the future!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

@jguerdat wrote:

That's why I mentioned open to arlo.com - IT may have blocked access to various sites for various reasons.

Glad @StephenB got you the solution.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation