Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Camera solar panel compatibility

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Nickib622
Aspirant
Aspirant
We had a camera vmc4030 with a solar wma4600. Camera is 5 years old and doesn’t work right any longer. We bought 3 pack vmc2330 thinking one would work with the wma4600 solar panel. Doesn’t work. So we thought we would try one of the other two brand new ones we bought today vma5600. Doesn’t work. Thinking we need solar panel wma3600. Now I’m wondering if our base station from old camera and AC1750 Wi-Fi ranger extender will work. Welcome any input! Gotta return to Best Buy tomorrow because they sold is the vma5600 which clearly does not work!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
10 REPLIES 10
Dannybear
Master
Master
The vmc3040 is a arlo pro camera uses the vma4600 solar panel.

The vms2330 are the arlo essential camera(vmc2030) uses the vma3600 solar panel.

The base is likely a vmb3500, look under unit for label. You will likely need a vmb4xxx or 5000 base to work with the essential cameras.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Dannybear wrote:

The base is likely a vmb3500, look under unit for label. You will likely need a vmb4xxx or 5000 base to work with the essential cameras.

@Nickib622: The Essentials can also connect to your home wifi (without a base).

Whether you use a base or not, you will need a subscription for the essentials to get cloud storage.

Nickib622
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks. Not to be stupid but when you say “base” are you talking about the range extender? Or do you mean that thing I keep having to rest and sync our camera to? Our new ones did not come with one of those - we need to buy something else to work with the new ones or do we not need it at all as someone else indicated?
Nickib622
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks - so we don’t need the thing with the green lights that we got with the original camera? We don’t want to pay for any monthly subscription. The current camera only keeps images for I think 7 days but we can share and download. Are the essential systems the same? I hope this was a wise choice to upgrade…not so sure!
Nickib622
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes! The base station is VMB4000 so we’re good there! Thank you!
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nickib622 wrote:
We don’t want to pay for any monthly subscription. The current camera only keeps images for I think 7 days but we can share and download. Are the essential systems the same?

They are not the same, and you will need a subscription to get any cloud storage.  No 7-day free storage with any of the newer cameras - that ended back in 2018 (starting with the Ultra).

Nickib622
Aspirant
Aspirant
That stinks. What other options are there?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nickib622 wrote:
That stinks. What other options are there?
  1. Purchase a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000) and set up direct access to local storage.  There are a lot of limitations to that feature, and the investment in the smarthub will take years to recoup.  So while some folks do go that route, I don't recommend it myself.
  2. Continue to use your old cameras.
  3. Pay for the subscription.

Nickib622
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks everyone for all of the help and suggestions. We decided to return the Arlo and go with a wired system. Problem solved.
Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation