Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 34 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation
Ian_speeding
Tutor
Tutor

Hi I was wondering if anyone has had a issue with a pro 4 keep loosing connection I’ve had a pro in the same place for years and I’ve just upgraded to a pro 4 I put it in the same place and it keeps dropping connection ?? It’s got the latest software on it and so does the base station all the other cameras on the network work. I can’t keep going up ladders to reset it it’s just not viable any help and advice I would appreciate thank you.

34 REPLIES 34
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The radios are different so comparing to another model may not be useful. What happens if you swap cameras around or bring the camera closer to the base to see what happens?

Ian_speeding
Tutor
Tutor
The pro 4 is the closest camera to the base station I have to keep resetting the pro 4 all the others are fine it works for several hours then just goes off line ?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

But the location itself may be the issue. Try swapping cameras around or bring the camera closer to the base for troubleshooting.

Ian_speeding
Tutor
Tutor
Ok thank you for the response I have checked the video bandwidth when installed at the location and the bar is full and it says it’s good so why would it drop randomly ? I just don’t get it ?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Ian_speeding wrote:
 I have checked the video bandwidth when installed at the location and the bar is full and it says it’s good so why would it drop randomly ? I just don’t get it ?

It could be wifi interference.

CaneZMD
Star
Star
I have the same problem… I have 4 pro 4’s, some pro 3’s and some original pro cameras. There is one pro 4 that is constantly needing to be reset cause it’s not connected to the hub. Don’t know what to do.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Have you tried the suggestions in this and other threads, such as moving the camera closer to your hub and/or swapping cameras around to see if it's the location or camera?

CaneZMD
Star
Star
Of course, I’ve tried all of that. I’ve had arlos for many years, many cameras. I think this one might be defective.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @CaneZMD

Please reach out to the Support Team to further investigate this issue you are experiencing. You can find several options for contacting support though the Arlo Mobile App by navigating to Settings/System/Support.

Amusjh
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yep. And it is super frustrating. I don’t want to “move a camera to a new location”, it needs to be were I have it. I had the original Arlo there and it worked just fine. I upgraded cameras but they don’t work. Maybe I should just go back to the old cameras and not pay for the monthly subscription anyways.
griggsm1
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same issue. If there is a solution, I cannot find it in these threads. We DO NOT all have wifi interference!! And, the fact that nothing can be done but a manual reset defeats the whole purpose of security cameras. If I have to be there to reset them all the time, then I don't actually need them! So incredibly disappointing.

Amusjh
Aspirant
Aspirant

Do you have a smart hub?  I currently do not and was hoping that maybe getting one would help.  But, unfortunately, they have been out for at least 6 months.

DaOtherOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have the same issue.  I tracked my issue down to the Arlo cloud server resetting the connection. I have Wireshark traces of all of the IP traffic to and from the server showing the reset.

BadRobot
Guide
Guide
I have 3 Arlo Pro 4, I upgraded to Fiber Optic internet which greatly improved WIFI signal. Each camera has its own solar panel to keep them at 90 percent or better battery charge. With that said I have a 2600 square foot house and occasionally these crappy WIFI cameras still drop off line. Problem with Arlo and other WIFI cameras is no external antenna... What aggavates me is Arlo cameras are not weather proof. When the Ambient Temperature reaches 90 degrees and above you guessed it they fail and drop off line. Stephen B aka Arlo guru trys but dont resolve anything.. Bottom line Arlo WIFI cameras are good but I will not buy them again.
DaOtherOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

I agree the camera's Wi-Fi is marginal when you are not located close to the Wi-Fi access point. This is not my problem because both cameras are with 15 feet of the Wi-Fi access point.  According to the Arlo Community, interference from nearby Wi-Fi access points can cause connection problems.  This is not my problem because I am testing cameras from multiple vendors in a remote building.  The nearest building with a Wi-Fi signal is over 1,000 feet away and the signal is around -85 dBm.  

My problem is the Arlo Cloud server is resetting the TCP/IP connection.  I have captured IP message sequence using Wireshark https://www.wireshark.org/ 

I have sent all of the information to Alro including the Wireshark logs but I have not heard back from their engineering team why the Arlo Cloud server is resetting the connection.

I am testing other cameras from different vendors in the same location.  None of these are having issues.  When I'm onsite I never have any Wi-Fi issues with my Laptop and iPhone.

It seems to me that Arlo should be able to find the root cause of this problem and fix it.

I agree that the Arlo cameras are nice and I would like to use them for my application but this is impossible with the communication link instability.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Amusjh wrote:

Do you have a smart hub?  I currently do not and was hoping that maybe getting one would help.  But, unfortunately, they have been out for at least 6 months.

I do, and am not seeing any connection issues with my Pro 4. It's about 30-40 feet from the base.  But I suspect some Pro 4 users w/o a base aren't seeing these problems either.  So it's not clear to me that investing in a base (if you can find one) will result in solving the problem.

@DaOtherOne  wrote:

My problem is the Arlo Cloud server is resetting the TCP/IP connection. 

While I agree that's an important clue, the next step is to understand why the Cloud server is doing that.  It might (for example) be a response to a malformed message coming from the camera. Hopefully Arlo will sort it out soon, and provide the needed firmware fixes (and/or cloud fixes).

BadRobot
Guide
Guide
Thank you for the info on Wireshark. I will definitely look into this program. I would be interested in what finally solved this remote Issue. Please keep me informed
DaOtherOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

This is the Wireshark trace from the point the camera initiates the connection to the point at which the Arlo Cloud server resets it.

The trace shows the normal TCP/IP keep alive messages and then without any obvious reason the Arlo Cloud server sends a reset (RST) message to the camera.  This is the point at which the camera goes offline in my iPhone app. 

Screenshot 2022-02-20 093059.png
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DaOtherOne wrote:

The trace shows the normal TCP/IP keep alive messages and then without any obvious reason the Arlo Cloud server sends a reset (RST) message to the camera.  This is the point at which the camera goes offline in my iPhone app. 

I'm not contradicting your analysis.  The key phrase is "obvious reason" - we don't know what is triggering the RST.  What you have determined is that the RST is sent when the camera goes off line - a useful correlation, which might or might not be the cause.

I am noticing the packet fragmentation at .401184  Are you always seeing that before the RST?

DaOtherOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

I have other traces where packet fragments do not occur.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@DaOtherOne wrote:

I have other traces where packet fragments do not occur.

Good to know.

Amusjh
Aspirant
Aspirant

So, would a wifi extender help those of us who have "wifi interference"? 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Amusjh wrote:

So, would a wifi extender help those of us who have "wifi interference"? 

If can improve signal strength (if it is closer to the camera than the router).

But it won't reduce WiFi interference.

Amusjh
Aspirant
Aspirant
And this is showing full signal strength, correct?
28596B54-7A4C-47FF-83DE-DC0137F7279F.png
Discussion stats
  • 34 Replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 13 In Conversation