Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 4 with no base station?

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
OzelnHaxy
Aspirant
Aspirant

I really want to get Arlo Pro 4 but the no base station thing worries me? How do you feel about all the processing power housed in each camera?

I don't really want the ultra but I may need to for a base station?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@OzelnHaxy wrote:

I really want to get Arlo Pro 4 but the no base station thing worries me? How do you feel about all the processing power housed in each camera?

The base station doesn't change the processing needed in the camera.  The main advantages are

• battery life tends to be a bit better if the base is reasonably close to the camera (in my experience anyway).
  • a base provides local storage, which is essential if you don't want a subscription, and useful even if you do.

The Pro 4 can be paired with a base station (it supports both modes).  It has been hard to get stand-alone smarthubs recently (I suspect supply chain problems).  So I suggest starting with just the camera(s) now, and decide on adding a smarthub later on. 

Another option is to purchase a Pro 3 kit.  The Pro 3 has the same features are the Pro 4, except it requires a base, and cannot be paired with your home wifi.  If you do get a kit, and want the option to drop the subscription, then look for a kit that uses the VMB4540 smarthub (and not the VMB4000 or VMB4500 base).

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@OzelnHaxy wrote:

The base station doesn't change the processing needed in the camera.  The main advantages are

• battery life tends to be a bit better if the base is reasonably close to the camera (in my experience anyway).
  • a base provides local storage, which is essential if you don't want a subscription, and useful even if you do.

The Pro 4 can be paired with a base station (it supports both modes).  It has been hard to get stand-alone smarthubs recently (I suspect supply chain problems).  So I suggest starting with just the camera(s) now, and decide on adding a smarthub later on. 

Another option is to purchase a Pro 3 kit.  The Pro 3 has the same features are the Pro 4, except it requires a base, and cannot be paired with your home wifi.  If you do get a kit, and want the option to drop the subscription, then look for a kit that uses the VMB4540 smarthub (and not the VMB4000 or VMB4500 base).

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation