Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 4 (no base) connection to hotspot

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
Joefly1969
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have a Arlo pro 4 camera and a Arlo 3 floodlight camera. I have no base but an Arlo cloud account.

I would like to connect directly to a Wi-Fi hotspot for a construction site since I have no other wireless wifi at the jobsite.

I’m assuming setting up my two cameras onto the hotspot network is similar set up to any other wireless network (like the ones I have at my house using my house network).

All the recommendations that I found on this site has to do with connecting a base to a hotspot using an Ethernet connection.

Is my assumption wrong? Do I need anything else beside the AT&T nighthawk M6 pro hotspot?

Thanks!!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Joefly1969 wrote:

I’m assuming setting up my two cameras onto the hotspot network is similar set up to any other wireless network (like the ones I have at my house using my house network).

Is my assumption wrong? Do I need anything else beside the AT&T nighthawk M6 pro hotspot?

The assumption isn't wrong, the cameras should be able to connect to the M6.  You can set it up to use the same wifi network name and passphrase as your home wifi, and the cameras should connect to it w/o any need to change their settings - you can test this by turning off your home wifi, and setting up the M6 at home.

Another option would be to get the Go 2 camera, which uses mobile data.  You would need a mobile data plan for the camera, but you wouldn't need the hotspot.  However, it is not yet available on AT&T.  https://www.arlo.com/en-us/cameras/go/arlo-go-2-cameras.html

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Joefly1969 wrote:

The assumption isn't wrong, the cameras should be able to connect to the M6.  You can set it up to use the same wifi network name and passphrase as your home wifi, and the cameras should connect to it w/o any need to change their settings - you can test this by turning off your home wifi, and setting up the M6 at home.

Another option would be to get the Go 2 camera, which uses mobile data.  You would need a mobile data plan for the camera, but you wouldn't need the hotspot.  However, it is not yet available on AT&T.  https://www.arlo.com/en-us/cameras/go/arlo-go-2-cameras.html

Joefly1969
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your answer.  Yes, I would have looked into the Go 2 cameras, but I already own the Pro 4 cameras and the Pro 3 spotlight camera.

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation