Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 4 live feed lag

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
yelned
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am getting a 'live' video lag of around 60 seconds. My worst result on an Ookla speed test was: Ping 303ms,  download 12mbps, upload 2.91mbps. Any solutions to get live feed rather than a 'live' feed?

7 REPLIES 7
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@yelned wrote:

Any solutions to get live feed rather than a 'live' feed?

Are you seeing this when connected to your local wifi, or only when you are away from home?

Also, when you say 60-second lag, do you mean

1. it takes 60 seconds to connect?
  2. or that the live video is 60 seconds behind the actual scene?

You could try rebooting the camera (removing/reinstalling batteries) - and restarting the base if you use one.

yelned
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi Stephen. Thanks for the assist.

The lag is 60 sec behind the actual scene. It is also consistent with whatever device or connection I use so far: Windows web interface via Ethernet or wifi, Android Arlo app via wifi or mobile data. I will reboot the cameras (X2) and see if that makes a difference.

No base. Straight to wifi TP-Link Archer VR2800.

yelned
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just tried a restart from the app and that made no difference.

Removing the battery did. The lag after replacement shortened to around 15 to 20 seconds which is roughly the same time it takes to connect to the live feed through the app or web. That is from the time I press the play icon till I see a feed.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@yelned wrote:

The lag after replacement shortened to around 15 to 20 seconds

Obviously still long.  But more in line with what other posters sometimes see.

I haven't quantified lag lately, but my recollection is that it's more like 5 seconds with my cameras (though it sometimes does take longer than that to connect).  If I have a chance, I'll retest it over the next day or so.  Most of mine use a base, but I don't think that makes much difference.

FWIW, I find ~5 seconds generally acceptable for monitoring, but much too long for 2-way talk to be useful.

yelned
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes. I am really disappointed with them. They generally have really good reviews. I was just watching the feed as car headlights went past and noticed the feed would freeze occasionally but not jump forward on a restart. i.e. the lag accumulated. I have a Sengled Snap connected to the same system and it is far better for live video. Thanks for you assist.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

@yelned wrote:

I am getting a 'live' video lag of around 60 seconds. My worst result on an Ookla speed test was: Ping 303ms,  download 12mbps, upload 2.91mbps. Any solutions to get live feed rather than a 'live' feed?

Your ISP may well be the issue. That's a horrible ping time (mine is typically <10ms) but the upload speed is also very slow. Can you take the camera to a friend's house that has better speeds and connect it to their WiFi to see if it's better? PITA to remove and reconnect but it would prove the point.

yelned
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes. You could be right. It is wireless broadband (Australian broadband at that. Proudly 58th fastest in the world). The speeds are highly variable. Currently an ethernet connected speed test is: 93, 21.7, 3.81. Straight from the modem/router is: no ping result,  21.8, 4.3

One camera is on a magnetic base. I can pull that off easily. I am in QLD Aus and heading down to Tasmania after Xmas. I will give it a try there. However, same provider, same wireless broadband. I have a wired NVR system in Tasmania and the lag in the feed is 1sec or less.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation