Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 4 camera keeps disconnecting from WiFi

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Stephen378Baker
Follower
Follower

Hello,   Dog Likes Best

I bought an Arlo Pro 4 camera a few weeks ago and I have been having constant issues with the Wi-Fi connection. The camera is only about 15 feet away from my router, but it often goes offline and shows a poor signal strength icon. I have tried resetting the camera, changing the Wi-Fi channel, disabling the 5GHZ band, and updating the firmware, but nothing seems to help. The camera also takes a long time to reconnect after a power outage or a reboot. This is very frustrating and makes the camera unreliable for security purposes. 

Is anyone else having this problem? How can I fix it? I have seen some similar posts on the Arlo community forum, but none of the solutions worked for me. I am considering returning the camera and getting a different brand. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Stephen378Baker

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Stephen378Baker wrote:

I bought an Arlo Pro 4 camera a few weeks ago and I have been having constant issues with the Wi-Fi connection. The camera is only about 15 feet away from my router, but it often goes offline and shows a poor signal strength icon.

15 feet is of course quite close.  But if the camera is outdoors, there still could be something blocking the signal.  Some construction includes rebar, metal mesh, or metal flashing in the exterior walls, and that certainly can block wifi.  Pipes of course can also block it.

Try turning off mobile data on your phone, and measure the wifi speed at the camera location with speedtest (the free Ookla app).  The upload speed matters more than the download speed (and usually is significantly slower).  Also, look at the packet loss info.

FWIW, the Pro 4 only has a 2.4 ghz radio, so disabling the 5 ghz radio in the router will have no effect.

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation