Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 4 XL night vision stopped working

Discussion stats
  • 33 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
trburkiz
Aspirant
Aspirant

My outside backyard and garage cameras night vision stopped working.  Inside camera works fine. If I go into the app and turn off night vision and turn back on then it works for the night but the next night it stops working again. The same thing happens if I reset the base.  I tried removing the batteries and cameras from the system and then re-syncing but that didnt work either.  I recently opted to record all footage locally using my Arlo base station and hard disk instead of using their subscription service.  Seems it was working fine before my subscription expired but not 100% sure that has anything to do with it. I bought these from costco and am just about to return them if I cant resolve this issue. 

33 REPLIES 33
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

HI @trburkiz

Are you still experiencing this issue with your camera and the night vision?

Thanks 

trburkiz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes I’m going to return to Costco today and see if that fixes it. Unless u have a suggestion
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Let me see what I can find out really quick for you.  

trburkiz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Turning the camera off and then back on again in the app also gets the night vision working for one night as well.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Can you try moving your outside camera indoors to see if the night vision gets triggered properly?

trburkiz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes I will try that. I did return the cameras and got new ones and it still does the same thing . The thing I have not done is resetting the base by pressing the button on the back. I thought resetting the base was just unplugging the base and then plugging back in.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

I See, so this behavior occurs with a new set of Pro 4 cameras as well? 

trburkiz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you using an Android or iOS device? I have notified the Arlo Development team regarding this issue you reported. They have requested some additional info if you don't mind. 

If possible can you retrieve a diagnostic log as well as a screenshot for us?

I will provide further instructions if you would like to assist. 

trburkiz
Aspirant
Aspirant
IOS device. I can provide the info requested if provided instructions. I have not reset the base by pushing the button on the back. Should I try that before we go further? I believe I will need to reconfigure my entire system again though.
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

It definitely seems like there is something going on in the environment where the cameras are mounted, especially since the cameras were replaced and the same issue occurs but inside in total darkness the night vision works. Is it possible to adjust the positioning and test again, or try another spot in the locations outside? 

trburkiz
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have the cameras hard wired so moving is not an option. Did the logs show any issue? Also the cameras were working fine for quite some time then this started happening after my subscription ended and I started using my own hard drive for footage viewing. Dunno if that has anything to do with it or not…I’m thinking about returning and just getting the arlo pro4 vs the xl since the xl is just a bigger battery but has the same features correct? Since im hard wired I don’t need bigger batter plus the mounts don’t support the xl larger camera weight well anyways
ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Are you able to place them in the same location but a different spot within that area? Because they work inside in a dark environment, there is something outside causing this. We just have to pin point it. You can try the Pro 4 if you like as well, I don't want you to have to  troubleshoot with these if your acquiring new cameras. 

trburkiz
Aspirant
Aspirant
I drilled holes for the power cords so I can’t move the cameras. I think I’m just gonna try the pro4 system. That’s the same as the pro4xl just smaller battery correct?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@trburkiz wrote:
I think I’m just gonna try the pro4 system. That’s the same as the pro4xl just smaller battery correct?

It's exactly the same camera.  The plastic shell is shorter (to match the smaller battery).

trburkiz
Aspirant
Aspirant
I’ve just ordered the pro4 cameras and was going to order the hub. Your website says vmb4500 and vmb5000 are compatible with the pro4 but my current pro4xl system came with with vmb4540 (pro4 not listed as compatible on your website with this hub) I have a wireless doorbell that I also want to connect. Are all the hubs compatible with pro4 and the doorbell.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@trburkiz wrote:
 Are all the hubs compatible with pro4 and the doorbell.

No, but your VMB4540 smarthub is.  https://kb.arlo.com/000062284/Arlo-SmartHub-and-Base-Station-Compatibility.

@JamesC:  There is a mistake in the compatibility list here:  https://www.arlo.com/en-us/accessories/VMB4540-100NAS.html 

trburkiz
Aspirant
Aspirant
It looks like all 3 hubs on your website are compatible with the pro4. But looks like you have zero stock. I’m assuming this is due to the chip shortage/supply chain issues? Any idea when they will be available? I got my pro4s today and will install this weekend. I’ll keep u posted
trburkiz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ok pro4s are up and running on the existing hub that came with Costco cameras. Is there any way the hub can be causing this? I have a brand new hub from the new set of Costco cameras I bought that I haven’t used. If this issue continues with the pro4s I can try that hub with the pro4s.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@trburkiz wrote:
 Is there any way the hub can be causing this?

Seems unlikely.  AFAIK, nightvision is engaged and disengaged by the camera itself.

trburkiz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Ok well something isn’t making sense to me. The garage is pitch dark at night and the backyard has regular star and moonlight but both are behaving the same way. I’ll try the new hub if the new pro4s still have the same issue. I could have sworn the cameras were working fine when I first got them and things went south after stated recording locally when my subscription expired but that could be a coincidence
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@trburkiz wrote:
Ok well something isn’t making sense to me. 

FWIW, it doesn't make sense to me either.  I haven't seen other cases here where nightvision stops working on multiple cameras at the same time - or cases where toggling the control off/on only works for one night.

Are you trying this with Nightvision on, and the spotlight off?

trburkiz
Aspirant
Aspirant
Night vision on both. Spot light on backyard and off in garage. Both had same issue
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

If you livestream at night, does Nightvision ever engage?

Discussion stats
  • 33 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation