Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 4 XL - Will I still be getting recording of 7 days or it will change?

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
FB01
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, 

I got the Arlo Pro 4 XL from Costco. My couple of friends have Arlo (older versions) and they mentioned that it records everything for 7 days. 

Now for Arlo Pro 4 XL, it says 3 month trial active (which is going to end in a month) but it does not tell what is the trial about and what it will end at the end of the trial?

Will I still be getting recording of 7 days or it will change? I am not interested in any of the subscription plan. 

I just want to know my options.

Thanks,
JR

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@FB01 wrote:

Now for Arlo Pro 4 XL, it says 3 month trial active (which is going to end in a month) but it does not tell what is the trial about and what it will end at the end of the trial?

Will I still be getting recording of 7 days or it will change? I am not interested in any of the subscription plan. 

All the newer cameras (starting with the Ultra in 2018) need a subscription for cloud recording.  That includes the Pro 3 and Pro 4 cameras.  So you will lose all cloud storage when the trial ends. 

More details are here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062312/What-options-will-I-have-when-the-Arlo-trial-ends

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@FB01 wrote:

All the newer cameras (starting with the Ultra in 2018) need a subscription for cloud recording.  That includes the Pro 3 and Pro 4 cameras.  So you will lose all cloud storage when the trial ends. 

More details are here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062312/What-options-will-I-have-when-the-Arlo-trial-ends

FB01
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you Stephen B for clearing my doubt.

Now, in order for me store the recording, should I just attach USB drive (around  256GB) to the base and everything should work as if I am on subscription. Any else to be done in my account settings?

I am not sure as website does not provide anything in detail or anything came when I bought the product. 

Any other inputs from your side would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JR

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@FB01 wrote:

Now, in order for me store the recording, should I just attach USB drive (around  256GB) to the base and everything should work as if I am on subscription. 

Not really the same.  Direct Access to Local Storage requires a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000) and is described here: https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it

It has a number of limitations compared with cloud storage

1. Local Storage can only be access from the app - not from my.arlo.com
  2. Local Storage can only be accessed from the primary account - not friend accounts
  3. You can not make manual recordings
  4. Thumbnails are not available, so you need to download and play the video before you have any idea on why it was stored.
  5. Remote access can be hard to set up (either needing port forwarding, or a VPN).

Also there are other subscription features that you will lose - notably cloud activity zones and smart notifications.

ZYR777
Aspirant
Aspirant

My Arlo Pro 4 camera often interrupts video recording! ! !

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation