Arlo Pro 4 Camera Drops

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
carolinarider
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased two Arlo Pro 4s in June of last year.  I have had to return one and now I have a second one that keeps dropping off line from the Arlo Hub to which it is connected.  But the warrant is not gone.

There are no messages about why the device has dropped off line.  The camera is attached to a Arlo Solar Panel (purchased from Arlo so it should be real).  

I just looked at the Arlo website to see if I can purchase some additional Pro 4 cameras.   They appear to be no longer for sale. 

So there are two questions. 

1.  Did Arlo stop production of the Pro 4's?  If so, why?

2.  Why should I have faith in the other Arlo cameras.  The Pro 5 appears to be at least double the cost of the Pro 4.  Does that mean my my three Pro 4 cameras will soon stop working and why should I purchase an Arlo device again.  (well I guess I have to because I already have the Hub and the solar panels.  Just not cool).

10 REPLIES 10
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@carolinarider wrote:

I purchased two Arlo Pro 4s in June of last year.  I have had to return one and now I have a second one that keeps dropping off line from the Arlo Hub to which it is connected. 

There are no messages about why the device has dropped off line.  The camera is attached to a Arlo Solar Panel.  

Some other users have reported similar behavior.  Try disconnecting the camera from the panel as a test, and see if that resolves the off-line problem.  

@carolinarider wrote:

I just looked at the Arlo website to see if I can purchase some additional Pro 4 cameras.   They appear to be no longer for sale. 

Does that mean my my three Pro 4 cameras will soon stop working

It does look like they are discontinuing the Pro 4.  But that does NOT mean the camera will "soon stop working".  Many folks here are still using their Pro (VMC4030) cameras that Arlo stopped making back in 2018.  All manufacturers refresh their product lines over time.

The Pro 5 is very similar (same resolution, same housing + accessories), so it is possible Arlo didn't see the need to manufacture and distribute both - especially after they introduced the Essential Gen 2 camera last fall, which also offers 2K resolution and sells for only $99.

While the Pro 5 list price is higher than the Pro 4, it is not twice the price.  The Pro 5 lists for $249, while the Pro 4 listed for $199.  Unlike the Pro 4, it is dual-band.  Both models have gone on sale frequently, and I suspect you are comparing a sale price for the Pro 4 with list price of the Pro 5.

carolinarider
Aspirant
Aspirant

While I appreciate the comments above, the issue is I have three of four "older" Arlo cameras that have never had the issues I have had with the Pro. 4.  Therefore, the rational of my statement, that they are a poor design and are being dropped from the lineup is rational and based on personal experience.  

I have had Arlo cameras for some time.  The older cameras I have still in use have never had the problems of the Arlo Pro 4.  I cannot tell you the real name but the Hardware is H8.   They still work, (again many years old ) except for the batteries (even new ones) being hard to charge in the charger. 

I recommended these cameras to my daughter for security and I gave her two for Christmas. What I did not want to have happen is to have then fail as she begins to relay on them.  

Let's talk price.  From Best Buy

Arlo - Pro 4 Spotlight Camera Security Bundle - 3 Wire-Free Cameras Indoor/Outdoor 2K with Color Night Vision (12 pieces) - White - on sale $450 and you get four batteries.    And you can not buy a single camera.

Now the Pro 5:   Arlo - Pro 5S 2K 3 Camera Indoor/Outdoor Wire Free Spotlight Security Camera Bundle - White

not on sale but the price is $700.  Single price is $250.

No, I believe that Arlo is discontinuing Arlo Pro 4 because they are crap.  And if Arlo really cared about its long time customers they would offer to buy back my Pro 4 cameras and give me a real deal on their replacement cameras. 

As I said I have been an Arlo customer for some years and just last year upgraded ( I thought ) to the Pro 4 cameras.  

I just want Arlo to take ownership of a back product.  

Now, if I want to replace my crappy Pro 4's I have to pay a very high price or wait for a sale and loose the home security I paid for.  

carolinarider
Aspirant
Aspirant

Someone made the following statement in response:

Some other users have reported similar behavior.  Try disconnecting the camera from the panel as a test, and see if that resolves the off-line problem. 

What is a panel?  I have a Hub.  What is a panel?  You know inquiring minds.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The "panel" referenced is a solar panel which has been known to cause issues on occasion.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@carolinarider wrote:

What is a panel?  I have a Hub.  What is a panel?  You know inquiring minds.

Solar panel.

carolinarider
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ok,,, I have seen some comments on that and It will really tick me off if the solar panel is the issue.  It cost $60.   One of the reasons I purchased the Pro 4 was because I would not have to climb a ladder every month of so to replace the battery. 

But I will leave the solar panel not connected to see if that is the issue. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

When you have an issue with any device, check to verify it's within the warranty period. If so, use the appropriate method to see about a warranty replacement sooner rather than later. For Arlo, use the app to go to Settings, Support and choose the appropriate camera. Scroll down to Contacts to see what official support may offer including an RMA.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@carolinarider wrote:

Let's talk price.  From Best Buy

Arlo - Pro 4 Spotlight Camera Security Bundle - 3 Wire-Free Cameras Indoor/Outdoor 2K with Color Night Vision (12 pieces) - White - on sale $450 and you get four batteries.    And you can not buy a single camera.

Now the Pro 5:   Arlo - Pro 5S 2K 3 Camera Indoor/Outdoor Wire Free Spotlight Security Camera Bundle - White

not on sale but the price is $700.  Single price is $250.

Note the Best Buy Pro 4 bundle is marked "Clearance".  So they are just selling off inventory - another clue that the Pro 4 is being discontinued.

Their list price for that Pro 4 bundle is $600, so $100 less than the Pro 5s bundle.  The bundles appear to be identical other than the camera model.  So the list price difference for the bundles is $33 per camera.

I used a price tracker (camelcamelcamel) to look at Amazon's average selling prices for a single camera from launch to the present.  The difference in the average selling prices was about $40 (so a bit less than the $50 difference in list price).

@carolinarider wrote:

While I appreciate the comments above, the issue is I have three of four "older" Arlo cameras that have never had the issues I have had with the Pro. 4.  Therefore, the rational of my statement, that they are a poor design and are being dropped from the lineup is rational and based on personal experience.  

I didn't think you were being irrational.  I am just saying there are good business reasons to drop the Pro 4 from the lineup that are not related to quality.  There are only so many models that they can afford to build and distribute. 

It's clear that Arlo has doubled down on lower cost cameras with the Gen 2 launches last year.  

It's not so clear what Arlo will do to refresh the Pro and Ultra lineups.  The newest camera with a list price over $200 is the Pro 5s, and that was launched in 2022.  I do like having a replaceable battery, so I am hopeful that they will continue to sell models that have them.  

My own experience with the Pro 4 has been better than yours, though I only have one Pro 4 (and one Pro 5).  I have several VMC3030s (no longer in use), Pro, Pro 2, Pro 3, Ultra, and Essential models.  The main issue I've seen posted with the Pro 4 is the scratchy audio (which is not a big deal for me, though clearly is if if you use 2-way talk).  

Overall, I think they have more quality issues with the app and cloud than they have with the cameras.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@carolinarider wrote:

Ok,,, I have seen some comments on that and It will really tick me off if the solar panel is the issue.  It cost $60.   One of the reasons I purchased the Pro 4 was because I would not have to climb a ladder every month of so to replace the battery. 

But I will leave the solar panel not connected to see if that is the issue. 

It would be a useful test.  There have been several odd issues reported here that somethow were linked to the use of a solar panel.

I've had a good experience with the panel connected to one of my Ultra cameras.  But my other cameras aren't in good locations for them.  Overall, I put my cameras where I can easily reach them (risking theft, but reducing the risk of an accident going up to get them).

carolinarider
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just for the record, since I disconnected the solar panels I have not had connection issues.  

The Amber light in my Alto Hub continues to flash and I am not going to turn if off and back on to try and reset it. When I look (online connected to the "cameras and hub" I see no information about the Hub have a problem. 

Note: Of course the older cameras still work and have never had the issues I had with the Pro-4.   I use them just because I can. and they do provide some coverage in areas that are normally not visible directly from the house. 

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation