Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Arlo Pro 4 - 2 furthest away have low signal

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Horndogger
Aspirant
Aspirant

Purchased 6 Arlo Pros and am running them off my Smart Hub. The 2 furthest away have low signal. If I take them off the Smart Hub and run them directly off WiFi would it pick up a better signal since I have Wi-Fi extender pods in the house?

Thank You

5 REPLIES 5
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Horndogger wrote:

Purchased 6 Arlo Pros and am running them off my Smart Hub. The 2 furthest away have low signal. If I take them off the Smart Hub and run them directly off WiFi would it pick up a better signal since I have Wi-Fi extender pods in the house?

They might. If you have an Android phone you could install a free wifi analyzer app, and see how the smarthub wifi signal strength compares with your home wifi at the camera locations.

rmonio
Tutor
Tutor

@StephenB -

@Horndogger brings up an interesting question though…. What is the average distance of the station’s connection? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

That's hard to say because of all the various environmental differences. 2.4GHz wireless in the area, house construction, objects in and on walls, distance between hub and camera, etc. all gets in there. Since each installation has its own variables, testing is needed. 

I happen to have a ~50 foot distance to my farthest camera  but with few obstacles that works fine. I do have separation of 3-4 feet between my hub and router since that can make a difference, too.

Horndogger
Aspirant
Aspirant

I ended up taking my Arlo Pro 4’s off the smart hub and went directly to Wi-Fi. Now all is good furthest camera went from under 1 bar to 3, granted I have 2 Xfinity pods!

rmonio
Tutor
Tutor

I took all my Arlo devices off the SmartHub and have them running off my Google mesh.  Now I am running out to my Cow Shed without an issue (roughly 80 yards with 3 bars) without an issue.  Yes, I do have the camera mounted on a boom so there is LOS to it (vs. in the metal shed), but it’s working quite well (even though the Cows seem enamored with it for some reason).

I also used Google Home to rename the cameras and test speeds/etc. to the Cameras.  All quite respectable too!  I am puzzled though why the Doorbell 2-way audio feature takes so long to connect.  

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation