Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
cwgrc2
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am starting a new discussion here about VERY poor battery life in the Arlo PRO 4 cameras.  I bought 3 of them from Best Buy about 5 months ago.   I have one facing my backyard, one on the roof out to the front street and one at my front door.  

I have to charge these things every 2 to 3 weeks, NOT 2 to 5 months like they claim.  I charged one yesterday and it is already at 80% from 100% IN ONE DAY!

The backyard camera maybe captures 10 videos a day (basically my dog).  I also installed a Google AC2200 Mesh about 2 months ago and have Ting fiber optic symmetrical Gigabit service.  All 3 cameras show excellent (max) signal and any phone or Note/iPad shows about 200-300 megabit per second when I do speed test near the cameras.  

Arlo has responded to me before and said not to have too many video captures per day.  Whatever, then why get the cameras?  I have tried to optimize this the best I can, but find myself having to climb on my roof every 2-3 weeks.  Bummer!

Please help me or tell prospective buyers this before they buy.  Or send me 2 Arlo solar panels!

Chris

7 REPLIES 7
dcfox1
Master
Master

How much live streaming do you do a day? I have about 10 recordings a day as you sometimes and my batteries, the same as Pro4 last 2-3 months depending on usage. I don't do a lot of live streaming though for long periods. Also even out side the activity zone it still records but thy get disregarded. 

cwgrc2
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just to be clear, I have an Arlo Pro 4 without a hub. All wireless.

I do no live streaming, I only capture events. Like I said above, in the backyard I may get 20 videos at most, but more likely 10 per day.

The one out in the street captures every car that goes by. So that could be a lot on a busy day perhaps 60 or more videos.

The front door is only capturing animals and humans. That also might have 10 videos per day. That's it, not a lot.
dcfox1
Master
Master

@cwgrc2 wrote:
Just to be clear, I have an Arlo Pro 4 without a hub. All wireless.

I do no live streaming, I only capture events. Like I said above, in the backyard I may get 20 videos at most, but more likely 10 per day.

The one out in the street captures every car that goes by. So that could be a lot on a busy day perhaps 60 or more videos.

The front door is only capturing animals and humans. That also might have 10 videos per day. That's it, not a lot.

It does not matter if on wifi or hub.  You should try repositioning to get the street out of view if that much activity on street. 20 is a good bit much less 60 as you said. Your other cameras may still be capturing a lot of activity outside of activity zone that you will not see since they get disregarded at the server but still effects the battery. So try to get any unwanted activity out of view of the cam. 

sroach
Aspirant
Aspirant

One thing you might want to consider, for my two back yard camera's I have them set with Geofencing turned on and a schedule set. 

So the outcome is... my two backyard cameras don't "activate" from 6am - 10:00pm, because if we're home then we don't need to be alerted (We have a lot of wildlife in our yard) the Geofencing turns these camera's on if both my wife and I leave the house. 

I know everyone's situation is different, just a suggestion. 

Crescentmoon52
Aspirant
Aspirant

I bought two pro 4 camera packs and one of them needs to be recharged every 3 week or less... I contacted Arlo and am still waiting for their decision on what's causing this.... I had hoped to return the bad set of pro 4s but it may be too late before they get back to me....

Crescentmoon52
Aspirant
Aspirant

Even when I had only 1 or no videos a day my batteries still drained.... I even tried the economy mode and that didn't work either....

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Crescentmoon52 wrote:

Even when I had only 1 or no videos a day my batteries still drained.... I even tried the economy mode and that didn't work either....

Do you have activity zones enabled?  That masks the amount of video activity (video is streamed whenever the camera detects motion; then the cloud determines if it is in-zone or not).

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation