Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras

A delay between motion detection and recording?

Discussion stats
Noruss
Aspirant
Aspirant

Strange thing happening here.

It takes a person 30 seconds to walk across the field of view of the camera. The Arlo Pro 4 doesn't start recording until they're 10-15 seconds into the frame, and it keeps recording for that same amount of time once they've left. This happens whether they're walking from left to right, or right to left, so the end result is that I'm not capturing them from the moment they arrive on the screen, the recording starts when they're between a third and a half of the way across.

Has anyone experienced this, or have a solution for it?

27 REPLIES 27
MrCar
Aspirant
Aspirant

I wonder the same. Is there a wake up time can it be reset. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There is definitely a "wake up time" - we generally call it lag. The camera has to detect motion, initiate a connection to the servers and then start recording. When plugged into AC power, the camera is awake the whole time and can buffer the first few seconds (foresight in Arlo terms) but not on battery.

Positioning and sensitivity settings help the most. Eliminate as much of the unneeded background as possible/practical since the cameras can only detect out to maybe 25 feet for people. Try to get the cameras set to cause motion to be across the FOV since that's how PIR sensors detect the best.

https://kb.arlo.com/37/Arlo-Camera-Placement-Tips

cpcxgsr
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ever since my latest firmware update (Aug 2024), lots of strange things have been happening. The camera with the update, the battery life is terrible. I usually can last 8-10 days of battery life on a full charge. After the update, it barely lasts 3-4 days max...

Then I started to notice that the camera with the update wasn't recording all my activities. It would randomly skip recordings. Whereas before the update, it wouldn't. Now I've been noticing a lag in actual recording time when the camera detects motion... But it never was the case prior. Just like what the other commenters had said... It is recording on a 5-7 sec delay...

I did a factory reset... Took out the batteries... Turned off the camera... Restarted the camera... Still having the same problems..

Discussion stats