Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Randy_4881957
Tutor
Tutor

I purchased a Pro 4 and connected all 3 cameras that were functioning fine then we had a small thunder storm and lost power for a few hours afterwards I noticed my cameras were offline. I reinstalled 1 camera but could never reinstall the other two cameras. My phone would not find them. After numerous calls and conducting the unplug the router, remove battery, reinsert battery, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, and many other things suggested by the Arlo team, I was told today to check my upload speed and it came to 4.56 MPS and they said that's the problem. 1st, They never explained that I needed a min. 2 MPS for each camera when I purchased them, 2nd why I had all 3 cameras connected and working until the thunder storm, 3rd, Why didnt the other colleagues say that instead of making me go through all those other steps,  4th why cant I connect at least ONE MORE camera if the req. is 2 MPS for each camera ? I'm getting 4.56 MPS and by their own statements should get at least one more camera. I'm not happy with Arlo at all and will never let this go until I get some answers 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Randy_4881957
Tutor
Tutor

Mark,

After trouble shooting everything on Arlos side, I went to my IP and hammered on them pretty good this time and they fixed the issue. They/ we "command promt  refreshed my router and the cameras immediately found my phone. Its sad that this much frustration had to go into fining the issue as I've explained it quite well with them. A technician for my IP was here a few weeks ago and re-ran the coax cable because he said they were getting high resistance but I guess he was supposed to  conduct the refresh and didnt. I'm no IT guy so I had no clue but it would seem that was the issue. So, if any Arlo customers are having the same issue as I had, I would suggest they contact their respective IP and refresh their routers. Again, thanks for sticking with me. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
dcfox1
Master
Master

Was your upload speed the same before the power outage since the problem started after that. Your speed seems low even for upload speeds that are usually lower then download speed. 

Randy_4881957
Tutor
Tutor

Yes it was and the other two cameras were working just fine. After the trial ran out, I purchased the $2.99 per month  for the 1 camera and not the other two because of cost. The other cameras are still supposed to work even without the cloud saving the videos isnt it? 

dcfox1
Master
Master

@Randy_4881957 wrote:

Yes it was and the other two cameras were working just fine. After the trial ran out, I purchased the $2.99 per month  for the 1 camera and not the other two because of cost. The other cameras are still supposed to work even without the cloud saving the videos isnt it? 

Yes but they won't record motion unless you have local storage set up on base/hub  if connected to that. If connected to wifi directly you won't have recordings at all. But that is different then you saying they are offline after the power outage. This link shows what you can do without a subscription. 

What options will I have when the Arlo Smart 3-month trial plan ends?

Randy_4881957
Tutor
Tutor

I was just trying every scenario to understand why they quit working and if the subscription for just 1 camera had anything to do with it because I found it odd. I've thought about purchasing the base station and will do whatever it takes to get these working / recording. I'm contacting my IP tomorrow to find out why only 4.56 upload speed. Does the base station record ? I'll check out the link you sent shortly. What through me for a loop is why all three cameras worked for Jan, Feb, March April and even some of May but now are not because of the so called slow upload. I'm not positive on the upload speed before this issue but it would have to at least be more than I have now because of above mentioned. Trust assured that I will find the issue eventually and do thank you for the quick response. As Elmer Fudd used to say, "there's som-tin- sqew-y" somewhere. LOL 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

Your slow upload speed only becomes a problem when multiple cameras are streaming to the cloud at the same time.  If you only have 1 (or possibly 2) cameras triggering at the same time, it should work ok.

So I agree that the upload speed isn't the reason why the cameras can't be added back to your account.  However, if you are paying for better service, you should resolve it (and it would be best if you can upgrade the service to get > 10 mbps if you can).

Randy_4881957
Tutor
Tutor

No, it didnt fix the issue and yes, this upload speed is the same as it was when all 3 cameras were working. Its just very odd that only one camera will now 

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Randy_4881957 wrote:

No, it didnt fix the issue and yes, this upload speed is the same as it was when all 3 cameras were working. I

I'm not clear on the current status - is the third camera still not in the account?

If not, you might try support again - likely you'll get a different agent, and can point out that the upload speed isn't a factor when adding a camera.  @Mark-V might be able to facilitate.

Mark-V
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Randy_4881957 ,

@StephenB is correct that the upload speed should not affect adding the camera. With 4.5 Mbps, you can install several cameras, but you'd only have the bandwidth for two to stream/record at a time. The problem you would run into if more than two cameras streamed would be poor video quality or streaming errors.

I checked your account, and the two cameras are showing as "deactivated", so they need to be re-added as if they are new cameras. What I would do is to do a factory reset on the cameras, then try to re-add them. Follow the steps here to reset those two cameras: https://kb.arlo.com/000062438/How-do-I-factory-reset-my-Arlo-wire-free-camera. Make sure to hold the reset button down until the Amber LED flashes three times to confirm the camera reset. Even if you've done the reset before, try it once more.

After that, try to re-add the cameras through the Arlo App, and go through the installation process under "Add New Device". The typical hang-ups for install are:

- Distance between camera and router. When you install the cameras, bring them in the same room as the router, and put them up afterwards.

- Charge the cameras first if the batteries are low (or you don't know). 30 minutes is plenty of charge to get them installed.

- Wi-Fi Credentials. Did the Wi-Fi SSID or password change?

- Is a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network available? You can usually confirm in the router's settings.

- Is your phone on the correct Wi-Fi network? Does your phone use a VPN?

- QR Code. Make sure the camera plays the "chime" sound when scanning the QR Code.

- Do you have a mesh Wi-Fi network? (Orbi, Eero, Google Mesh, etc.) If so, please try unplugging the satellites from power during the installation process, and reconnect after installation is complete.

Please give the installation one more try, verifying each of the above items, and let me know the results. If you have any questions on anything above, please let me know. If the install doesn't work, I'll follow up.

Thank you,

Mark V

L3 Tech

Randy_4881957
Tutor
Tutor

Good news to hear that the other two cameras are being seen at your end. I have done the factory reset on one camera and still no go but will try again later. I've been quite busy with other duties. I'm paying for just one camera to record, the other two are just for monitoring inside and another location so just streaming on those. will get back to you after I get time to  reset

Randy_4881957
Tutor
Tutor

Mark,
I’ve factory reset both cameras and still not finding my phone.

The SSID or PW hasn’t changed.

VPN _ no
2.4 GHz – Yes
Phone is connected to WiFi
QR code does chime
Mesh – Don’t think so but will verify with IP and get back with you.

There’s got to be some small detail that’s being over looked somewhere and may be with my IP, I’ll just have to do more research because they all THREE were working fine for at least 90 days if not longer so a little more digging is in order until we find the fix. Thanks again for your continued effort in trying to solve this issue with me.

Randy

Mark-V
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Hi @Randy_4881957 ,

My suspicion is one of two things:

A) The router might be rejecting the cameras for some reason, or

B) There's something up with the cameras, likely in the FW, that isn't obvious to us.

My next test would be to try installing your cameras on a different Wi-Fi network, either on a different router or at a friend or neighbor's, and see if the camera will join a different Wi-Fi network. If the camera works on a different Wi-Fi network, then your router might be to blame. My suggestion would be to reset the router at that point. If the cameras still won't join a different network, then I'm leaning towards us doing a swap.

Thank you,

Mark V

L3 Tech

Randy_4881957
Tutor
Tutor

Mark,

After trouble shooting everything on Arlos side, I went to my IP and hammered on them pretty good this time and they fixed the issue. They/ we "command promt  refreshed my router and the cameras immediately found my phone. Its sad that this much frustration had to go into fining the issue as I've explained it quite well with them. A technician for my IP was here a few weeks ago and re-ran the coax cable because he said they were getting high resistance but I guess he was supposed to  conduct the refresh and didnt. I'm no IT guy so I had no clue but it would seem that was the issue. So, if any Arlo customers are having the same issue as I had, I would suggest they contact their respective IP and refresh their routers. Again, thanks for sticking with me. 

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation